Electronics / Controller - no light, no sound, no motion

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
michaelrommel

Electronics / Controller - no light, no sound, no motion

Post by michaelrommel » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:37 am

Dear all,

assembling the hardware took me about 5 hours with one or two mistakes (put the motors of the Z-assembly in from the wrong side) and trying to align everything perfectly (did not work with the Z assembly, as the belt is not in one plane and rotating the fixed pulley or putting a washer underneath did not leave enough clearance - but I now read that it is known and several DIY workarounds are proposed). Have never had a CNC machine before, so this is just, reading the assembly instructions, taking it slow and using my brain.#

Unfortunately on the electronics side, things are looking grim. I checked the technical inscription on the power supply first, because only an American plug was supplied, no European plug, so I thought I might have gotten a wrong PSU. On the sticker it confirmed working at 50/60 Hz and 230V. Hooking up the PSU and switching it on, briefly spun the contained fan in the PSU, but it went off quite quickly, leaving the green power indicator on.

Plugging in the USB cable to my MacPro created a /dev/tty.usbmodem5d11 device and was recognized as Shapeoko 3.

The Carbide Motion software provided the jogging controls, but no motor ever moved. :cry: Not even the connected additional small fan for the Carbide Controller board spins up.

What are the best ways to troubleshoot the electronics? The doesn't even seem to be a LED anywhere on the controller to check, whether the PSU is dead or the controller board is dead.

I'd like to know, if
  • using: screen /dev/tty.usbmodem5d11 115200 should react somehow
  • the controller should react even if the PSU is off (powered through USB)
  • there is a pin out description of the PSU, to check voltages
  • there are any other steps to check the electronics
Thanks, every help is appreciated!

Michael.

--
Michael Rommel, Erlangen, Germany
SO3 #214 (assembled, not working)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Electronics / Controller - no light, no sound, no motion

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:55 am

I believe there may be a physical switch on the power supply to toggle between 110 and 220. Check for that.

If that’s not the case, check w/ support@carbide3d.com
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

michaelrommel

Re: Electronics / Controller - no light, no sound, no motion

Post by michaelrommel » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Thank you, Will, you are right. The switch is at the side underneath the cover. I didn't see that and it was not even mentioned in the assembly instructions.
Very sad. Now it seems, that the damage is already done.

Will contact carbide3d to see, what they recommend.

Can you provide also some more insights to my questions on how to troubleshoot the electronics?

Michael.

--
Michael Rommel, Erlangen, Germany
SO3 #214 (assembled, not working)