Distances of holes on Z Axis Carriage Plate

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
HarryT

Distances of holes on Z Axis Carriage Plate

Post by HarryT » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I want to use a Kress Spindle Motor cause this is easier to get here in Germany. Therfore I need another spindle mount. To prepare this while waiting for my SO3 I should know the distances of the holes for the spindle mount on the Z Axis Carriage Plate in vertical and horicontal direction. These are 5mm holes, aren't they?

I'm sure this information was once posted here in the forum, but I can't find it. :(

Regards
Harald
Shapeoko 3 # 610
under construction

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Distances of holes on Z Axis Carriage Plate

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:28 pm

The inner pair of holes matches the spacing of MakerSlide --- I was able to use the same mounts from my SO1 which connects to the Makerslide. Probably you could use that information to scale a drawing from the instructions, since no other imagery / plans is available AFAIK.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

franazzo

Post by franazzo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:04 pm

HarryT wrote:I want to use a Kress Spindle Motor cause this is easier to get here in Germany. Therfore I need another spindle mount. To prepare this while waiting for my SO3 I should know the distances of the holes for the spindle mount on the Z Axis Carriage Plate in vertical and horicontal direction. These are 5mm holes, aren't they?

I'm sure this information was once posted here in the forum, but I can't find it. :(

Regards
Harald
Hi Harald,
Plate is 5 1/8" w.
Holes are 3/16"
Holes are 2 3/8" centre to centre
Holes are 3/4" from the bottem up.

Cheers
Franco

michaelrommel

Post by michaelrommel » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Harald,

Edward posted a link to the drawing of the original mount here: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/33-de ... ternatives

If you make one yourself, don't make the same mistake, I did: my router has only 43mm diameter for clamping.
The original mounting bracket is around 9.5cm side length, so I kept roughly the same diameter, mainly because the piece of aluminium I had lying around, was 10.5cm.
What I didn't consider: this leads to having a very thick border and whatever I did, the clamp did not flex. I need to mill down a large portion of the side, so that less material remains and the clamp can actually flex.
Nevertheless, I could mount the router and for now I am satisfied, because I do not need the router for any other work, so it may remain in the bracket.
Shapeoko-0009-00674-3.jpg
Shapeoko-0009-00674-3.jpg (470.65 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Good luck,

Michael.

HarryT

Post by HarryT » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Hello Michael,

THX for this information. I have found a pre-milled spindle holder w/ 80*80 mm square w/o holes to mount it. I hope this will be flexible enough.

Harald
Shapeoko 3 # 610
under construction