Where do you put your ShapeOko3 power supply?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
kristenanne77

Where do you put your ShapeOko3 power supply?

Post by kristenanne77 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:44 am

After getting the proper size belt... I just restarted building.
Where do you put the power supply/usb?
Did anyone build build a box to put it in? Any pictures of your setup would be nice.

Thanks
K

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Where do you put your ShapeOko3 power supply?

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:51 am

Currently I just have my power supply resting on the floor close to my ShapeOko 1 and the power strip it’s plugged into.

USB is out the other side of the machine (I did get a grommet for each wire though as noted on the wiki http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ifications
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

madhatter

Post by madhatter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:22 am

I bought this laptop/monitor stand and clamped it to the edge of my workbench. I set it so the power supply is held vertically between it and the wall. I thought I'd use the monitor part to hold the mousepad, but I just use the wireless mouse on whatever flat surface I can find - benchtop, wall, scrap material. . . and it works great.

I bought this little USB hub because you can turn on and off devices that are plugged into it. I bought it because I became concerned at how many times I was plugging and unplugging my Shapeoko each day, and decided that it was worth it to be able to leave everything in and just hit the power button on the hub and turn it off that way. It has been two weeks, and it works great. No issues.

I wasn't sure what size over-braid I would need, so I bought 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" TechFlex over-braid.

Turns out, the 1/4" is perfect for the stepper motor cables, and the 1/2" is good for wrapping my PID wiring with the router power cable. Since the SuperPID cable is basically headphone wire, I bought a set of 1/8" stereo headphone jacks and made a disconnect for it, so when I disconnect the router from the control box, I can disconnect the SuperPID cable as well.

Here is my setup.
SO3 #0054
DWP611 - SuperPID
Prusa i3 MkII
SolidWorks 2015

Defy

Post by Defy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:28 am

Currently building a box with 4 outlets on the back and a big paddle e-stop on the front that you can hit with your knee. I am going to mount that and the power supply under the table that everything is on.

kristenanne77

Post by kristenanne77 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks all.

Madhatter, thanks for the pics and great ideas. I especially like the very simple usb hub idea to save wear and tear from connecting and disconnecting the usb (i have certainly done A LOT of that in the past as a " quick disconnect" when things started screwing up!)

K

sdrevik

Post by sdrevik » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I have a place on my main workbench for the SO3, so I screwed the power supply underneath, with plans to have nice little cord hangers.

And it's the perfect distance from an eye-level outlet so the spindle cord hangs at just the right tension, so I don't have to worry about cord handling.