Small Shop Assembly

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
woodworkerbob

Small Shop Assembly

Post by woodworkerbob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:51 pm

SO3 Small Shop Assembly

If you have a big shop with lots of room, stop reading now. Everything that follows will make you think that I'm stupid and that number of people equals the population of several large states combined.

The follow is assembly heresy, and No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition! :) So take all of this with a block of salt.

First, what every you do, don't do like you see in the videos, getting everything out of the out of the box and spreading all over your working area. This takes a lot of room, it's too easy to loose parts, and (of course) you'll never get everything correctly back in the box.

Open the box and lift out the top layer of foam packed parts. Admire to really cool parts. Compare the number of "bags" to the packing list here.http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... #Top_layer No need to open any bags yet. Lift out the middle layer of foam packed parts and place it on the top layer. Admire the the parts, and compare to this packing list.http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... cond_layer Left in the bottom of the box are the two waste board halves. Pull those out of the box and set them aside. Put both foam layers back in the box. I kept the box under my assembly table.

Put some kind of sealing coat on the waste boards. See discussion: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6176 I placed a dowel thru a hole and hung the dowel/waste boards from the ceiling for drying.

If you plan on attaching a sacrificial board to the waste board, now is the time to perform any required machining on the waste board.

While the waste board dries, read the Assembly Instructions and read http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... structions.

Do not do Assembly #1 now. Go directly to Assembly #2, "Y Axis Carriage Plate." Do Assembly #3 and #4. Finally, combine the X and Z Axis plates as "described" in "X/Z Assembly". As you finish each plate, place it back into the foam in the box.

Assembly the Gantry. Tape, blue painters tape works well, the X/Z Assembly to the heavy extrusion (the one with the drilled holes) so the X/Z assembly won't crash into the end plates each time you move the gantry assembly.

You will get confused during the construction of each assembly. Check the wiki page. There's help on handling small parts and techniques to use for each assembly. Don't forget the SO3 Assembly Forum. And while you contemplate ideas from the wiki/forum pages, continue to place sealing coats on the MDF Waste boards.

With the 2 Y plates, the X/Z Assembly and extrusion creating the Gantry , and at least 2 (3 is better) dried sealing coats on the MDF Waste Boards, go to Assembly #1 and put together the Base Frame. This is where the heavy lifting starts so get ready.

Check the base for square. If it's way out of square, check your assembly. You've probably done something wrong. My base was less that 1/8 inch out of square at this point. Diagonal measurement.

Take a breath and go to Final Assembly and progress thru the rest of the assembly manual. Since the assembly manual is a bit skimpy on belts and exact wiring, it's back to the wiki page and the forum for completion and "Hello World".

It isn't hard, but limited space creates some challenges on its own. You can do this even on a 3 by 2 foot table.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Small Shop Assembly

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Great information.

Also pretty much matches how I did my machine. (Though l managed to lose a nut.)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Small Shop Assembly

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)