My Assembly Thoughts so far

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
James RS

My Assembly Thoughts so far

Post by James RS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:25 am

I received my S3 yesterday 7.9.15 and started assembly today around 5pm and have the machine together minus the belts.
I do realize Edward and company have hit stumbling blocks along the way. This isn't a gripe or complaint,
Just some helpful feedback.
One of the 1st things I noticed is the bags aren't really labeled, But if you have a caliper or a metric ruler you'll be ok.
Second the Z axis assembly, the instructions on that part need some tweaking. Going by the drawing from the forum that was supplied
isn't really easy to follow. Maybe a Sketchup Model? or a 3 d view? would help that process just a thought. But I went to Youtube and watched Winston.
And the third thing, the allen wrench for the little screws for the belts is the wrong size, but you know what.
If that's all considering what has happened prior that's minor right now.

Thank you Edward and your team

Jim

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: My Assembly Thoughts so far

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:40 am

Please see:

http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/46-ho ... and-y-axes

and

http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/31-wh ... -axis-belt

I'd like to do interactive .svg files as I did for the SO2, but need a place to put them and explicit permission.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:50 am

Hi James - thanks for the compliments, but we're working to improve the issues you're talking about

1.) I didn't know about the allen key - i'll check a few bags when I get back to the office on monday and see what the story is. Those smaller keys are usually the ones people dont have handy, so I want to make sure we're sending the correct sizes!

2.) The next batch of bags will be 'more' labeled than the current edition. The new ones will have basically a packing list printed on the outside. Down the road, maybe even by the next batch we're working to group the bags by assembly rather than by size!

3.) I need to get a 3D model posted for people to view. it's been on the to-do list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll try to get something out soon.

Regarding the belts - checkout our knowledgebase article: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/46-ho ... and-y-axes

Also - regarding the current hardware pack - here is a link to a reference page we made - if you print it 1:1 each piece of hardware on the sheet will be printed to size:

http://bit.ly/1CuCods

Regarding the instructions in general - we're working on a completely new set. At this point it's a behind schedule (imagine that...) but definitly in progress.

Thanks for the feedback and be sure to let us know if you have any more.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:25 am

I received mine yesterday and can echo OP's comments about the X/Z assembly. Additional photos would be helpful. CAD is nice but sometimes seeing the actual item makes things clearer.

The small wrench should be 1.5mm but the calipers measured mine at 1.54mm. The Stanley one I have was 1.48mm. I also noticed that the yellow Stanley pliers seen in many assembly videos have been replaced with very cheap open-ended wrenches.

I on the other hand would rather the hardware be sorted into bags like they are now rather than Winston's version of all of M5 in one bag. Having an entire bag of M5x16 and another of M5x20 just made it a lot easier. I written on each bag (of large quantity) the actual size. Zip lock bags like the ecentric nuts would be much nicer than the bags now that you have to tear open.

There's several things that could be improved with the hardware packing for just a few extra bucks per kit.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:58 am

Various notes:

* The box was crushed on one end, but nothing inside was damaged, so the foam worked perfectly. My wife, a packaging engineer, was impressed.

* I ended up with 2 identical hex wrenches of one size (the one that fits in the M5 bolts) but none that fit in the belt bolts. I have a bunch of hex wrenches, so was pretty easy to find a replacement.

* The ball end of the hex wrenches tended to strip some of the bolts, so I had to use the non-ball end to tighten. Not really a big deal.

* There were about half a dozen times where I assembled something, realized I'd done it wrong, and had to take it apart and reassemble.

* Most of the assembly diagrams were good, but as the other posters have said, page 13 is pretty awful. Two different assemblies share an axis, there are parts that aren't labelled anywhere, and it's just difficult to tell what's going on. I think some Lego/Ikea-style intermediate step diagrams would help a lot.

* I had exactly the right number of most things. I have four extra setscrews that don't seem to go anywhere (all the pulleys have two already). I was short two M5-20mm bolts, but happened to have some in my toolbox. Thankfully I didn't drop anything.

Overall though, it went together fairly easily given how complicated a machine it is. There were several times when I anticipated a problem, only to look closer and discover the solution was already part of the design.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

James RS

Post by James RS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:16 am

edwardrford wrote:Hi James - thanks for the compliments, but we're working to improve the issues you're talking about

1.) I didn't know about the allen key - i'll check a few bags when I get back to the office on monday and see what the story is. Those smaller keys are usually the ones people dont have handy, so I want to make sure we're sending the correct sizes!

2.) The next batch of bags will be 'more' labeled than the current edition. The new ones will have basically a packing list printed on the outside. Down the road, maybe even by the next batch we're working to group the bags by assembly rather than by size!

3.) I need to get a 3D model posted for people to view. it's been on the to-do list, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll try to get something out soon.

Regarding the belts - checkout our knowledgebase article: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/46-ho ... and-y-axes

Also - regarding the current hardware pack - here is a link to a reference page we made - if you print it 1:1 each piece of hardware on the sheet will be printed to size:

http://bit.ly/1CuCods

Regarding the instructions in general - we're working on a completely new set. At this point it's a behind schedule (imagine that...) but definitly in progress.

Thanks for the feedback and be sure to let us know if you have any more.

-Edward
Thanks Edward,
The belt issue I had was on the Z, that was a little bear lol, any way I had it enlarged on a 27inch screen and my ipad.
Once I watched Winston Moys video again, I caught what I was doing wrong.
Excuse me for saying this, but what Ive seen so far this is one Badass lil Machine.
Oh also upon arrival, there was a small hole in the box, but the contents was intact and protected.
The reference for the fasteners I never saw, but that would be a great help to anybody just getting going

Jim

veng1

Post by veng1 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:11 pm

I think this has been said before but I'm going to bump it.

I'd have like to had an assembly, probably in step file format, of a 3D CAD that I could import into Alibre and look in detail at how everything went together. Another benefit is to highlight a particular part and get the part number/size. That would have helped on the Z-axis where I had to redo a couple of things.

All in all, it was fairly easy.

I'd really like to see a drawing that shows the intended plan for limit switches.

jfdotcom

Post by jfdotcom » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:17 pm

If I ever get this thing going, I've even considered taking it completely apart and doing a detailed tutorial (video/photo/written) covering areas that are currently lacking.
S3 #342 07/2015
My website
YouTube Channel

Rowdy Penguin

Post by Rowdy Penguin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:50 am

Just got my unit today. I am up to the Z axis build and could really use a real picture of the x and z axis's before they are placed together. Mine seems a bit tight but is slides smooth. Also, worried about the spring tension (I used the washer mod mentioned on here).

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:28 am

If it's moving smoothly, w/o the wheels binding it should be good.

Springs can be adjusted or even replaced afterwards if need be.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)