Yet Another Shapeoko 3 Wasteboard

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
CastIrony

Yet Another Shapeoko 3 Wasteboard

Post by CastIrony » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:04 pm

This weekend I finished my wasteboard. It looks a lot like everyone else's :D

I used 3/4" MDF, which I was expecting to actually be around 5/8", but ended up being more like 7/8".

Good news: It's extremely sturdy. There is quite a bit of extra MDF on top, which I suppose gives me lots of clearance so I don't hit one of my threaded inserts accidentally.

Bad news: Depending on the length of my bit, I don't have a ton of room left for material + clamp. My Z axis sags a bit when the power is off (which I think is normal, and I might fix later with stronger springs), and this might cause the bit to crash into a thicker piece of material. I've considered surfacing the board down, but this MDF is pretty crumbly on the inside and I'm not sure I'd get a good surface finish.

I got some 35mm M5 bolts from Home Depot that I'm using to mount this board through the stock wasteboard and directly to the machine frame. This seems to be working well so far. I was a little bit worried that the sides wouldn't be strongly secured in place, but this seems not to have been a real issue given the extra thickness. As an added bonus, I didn't have to drill any new holes in my stock wasteboard.

Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

woodworkerbob

Re: Yet Another Shapeoko 3 Wasteboard

Post by woodworkerbob » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Looks great, just like everyone else's. :D

I chose 1/2 MDF just for the extra Z clearance.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Yeah, if I was doing it again I'd probably go with the 1/2".

woodworkerbob

Post by woodworkerbob » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:50 pm

If your interested in some really cool hold downs, of course they are of my design :D , I posted the dxf files here: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 512#p50938.

Cut the notches and the slots on the SO3, then remove them from the 1/2 " plywood via a table saw.

Bob
Shapeoko 3 - #13, dust deputy, precision collets, limit switches.
SVEMakerSpaces

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah, those are awesome :D

I was in a bit of a Catch 22, where I needed clamps but I didn't have any clamps to hold down the material I was going to use for the clamps. So I just cut some strips of plywood with a miter saw and drilled some holes. The slot looks nice, though, since I'm already having issues with the hole not being in the right spot.