Carbide Motion works Universal Gcode Sender Does Not

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
XStroX

Carbide Motion works Universal Gcode Sender Does Not

Post by XStroX » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:47 pm

I've got one remaining issue before I attempt cutting something with my new Shapeoko 3.

I'm able to control it using Carbide Motion software just fine (even ran the Hello World with a pen) however I'm not able to control it using Universal Gcode Sender. I'm on Windows 7. Universal Gcode Sender opens fine, and i can select COM4 which is where the Shapeoko shows up per Device Manager. I click Open and it says ****Connected to COM4 @ 9600 baud**** however that is as far as I can get. If i try to use Manual Control it says it is moving but the machine is not. If I click Command Table it shows check boxes under "Sent" for each command but no check boxes for "Done". If I type $$ to see my settings same thing happens.

Before I installed Carbide Motion, it didn't seem like I had a driver per the Device Manager and I figured that was the issue but now that i have installed Carbide Motion it seems like the driver is fixed per the Device manager and the fact that Carbide Motion works.

Any ideas?

XStroX

Re: Carbide Motion works Universal Gcode Sender Does Not

Post by XStroX » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:00 pm

I'm realizing perhaps this should have been posted in a different location. Feel free to move it if so.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:03 pm

9600 baud is wrong for GRBL 0.9. Change that to 115,200.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

XStroX

Post by XStroX » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:41 am

Is GRBL 0.9 what comes with the Shapeoko 3? If that is the only change I have to make fantastic. Will try first thing in the morning.

I've had a heck of a time finding guides/directions/etc for the Shapeoko 3. I suppose it just takes time.

I found plenty of details about assembly for the Shapeoko 3 but when it comes to trouble shooting, calibration and software setup it seems like I'm having to use directions written for Shapeoko 2.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:23 am

While superficially, the machines seem to only share belts, pulleys and V-wheels, conceptually, they are the same machine, just one has the benefits of more thought/experience and greater mass/money.

Pretty much everything for the ShapeOko 2 applies (or was applied) to the ShapeOko 3. If you see something which needs to be updated, let us know.

Specific page is here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3

There are about 20 ShapeOko 1/2s in use for every SO3 --- it’ll take a while for that ratio to catch up.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)