Building S3 #508, I have a few questions

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
buhmiller

Building S3 #508, I have a few questions

Post by buhmiller » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi everyone, longtime lurker, 1st time poster. I am very excited about my purchase of a ShapeOko 3. I finally had the time to start the build. It has taken me a bit longer than normal as I didn't want to screw anything up and wanted to make sure I had everything done correctly. As with some, I have taken mine apart a few times. It is so much easier to put back together the 2nd and 3rd times! :)

Anyway, I have scoured the message board and haven't found any answers to my questions.

I am a complete noob to the whole CNC world, so I don't have any CNC experience to compare my S3 to.

So here they are:

1. The build document only goes up to page 22 on the most current .pdf that I was able to find and download, is there a more complete version?

2. When I plugged my S3 into my laptop, I was able to connect and control the gantry via Carbide Motion. When I jog the gantry in the fast mode, in any direction, the motion is not continual it stutters for just a fraction of a second, then goes again. Is that normal or do I need to do some tweaking?

3. When I did the "Hello World", it printed it out perfectly but in mirror image. I then swapped the y1 and the y2 cables and then it printed it out very scrunched. I found out that I have the wrong stepper motors in the wrong place, so I am going to fix that to see if that fixes the problem.

I am very excited to get to do some milling and know that I will be able to soon, I just want to get this as perfect as I can.

Thanks for any help!

Are there any S3 owners in Southern Alberta?

Todd
Owner of S3 #508

Hans

Re: Building S3 #508, I have a few questions

Post by Hans » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Welcome Todd, to find people in your area it can help to put your location in your profile so it shows up on the right side of your posts. I can't comment on #1 and #2, but "scrunched" prints are a common early issue. The dip switches for microstepping on the driver board ship set to 1/8, but grbl is programmed for 1/4. It's easiest to just set the switches to 1/4 to match. Later on, you might choose to calibrate your machine based on 1/8 and switch them back.
Shapeoko #1,123

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:10 pm

New version of the assembly instructions is here: http://bit.ly/1iAfiJQ --- still in process though.

I get the stuttering sometimes --- it seems to vary based on computer speed and other issues, Carbide3D is working on it. Having even belt tension for the Y-axis seems to help along that axis.

size is controlled by DIP switches (current default is 1/4 --- see http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/21-wh ... ller-board ) and step values in Grbl (defaults listed at: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/38-sh ... l-settings ) ---toggle all your switches a few times and then set them as they should be (NEMA23, 1/4)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

buhmiller

Post by buhmiller » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks WillAdams and Hans. I changed the dip switches from ⅛ to ¼ and it prints out "Hello World" in the proper orientation albeit smaller. I am now going to try with the proper dip switch settings and see what that produces. I will post my results.

buhmiller

Post by buhmiller » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Success, I changed the dip switches back to ⅛ and it did the "Hello World" the correct way! I will post my pic/video in the hello world thread. Thanks Guys!