Dual X Makerslide > how can i compensate imprecise cut?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
typomaniac

Dual X Makerslide > how can i compensate imprecise cut?

Post by typomaniac » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:55 am

Hey,

i am just in the process of resizing my eshapeoko with a dual-x axis. The 2 makerslides are bolt together and i can see that they were not cut with high precision. There is a slight angle which results in the rear maker slide being a mm short on the top compared to the bottom. Same goes for the left side. I wonder what would be the best solution: Putting Washers between the plates and the slide until i get a right angle or taking a miter saw and sacrifize 5 mm of the maker slide by making a new cut with the bolt together rails.

Thank you!
tm

P.S: After making the bolts i also recognized that both rails are not perfectly parallel. The rear rails has a small offset on one side of about 0.3 mm. Do you think this will be a problem?
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Dual X Makerslide > how can i compensate imprecise cut?

Post by WillAdams » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:34 pm

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... he_Machine

Use aluminum shims. A mix of heavy and light aluminum foil will work

When bolting the rails in place, my suggestion would be to leave the out-of-square corner loose, reinforce the other edge w/ angle brackets and clamps, put a clamp on it (w/ cauls) and pull it into square before tightening.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets