Shapeoko Stuttering on Curves...requesting help!

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
osmany

Shapeoko Stuttering on Curves...requesting help!

Post by osmany » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:04 am

Hey all, total Noob and requesting help!

I've assembled the machine and stuck troubleshooting within the HelloWorld phase. I've scoured the forums for days and haven't come across my issue:
When running any profile containing curves/arcs/or fillets, the machine stutters slowly as it completes the curve ( see photos) On straight-way lines its moves as expected. Not sure what to do. I don't come from a machinist background, I'm an architectural designer, but I am a quick learner if the solution is clearly outlined for me.

I hope some of you folks can help me overcome this curve stuttering issues...I won't be able to move forward otherwise!

(Using "Shapeoko Hello World" file I DL'ed from site & a file I drew and exported via MakerCam
-----> Load and Run using CarbideMotion)

thanks for you attention..

video link to stutter in action: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... ideo%2cmp4
arc_stutter_web.jpg
arc_stutter_web.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
arc_stutter_web.jpg
arc_stutter_web.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Attachments
somewhatSuccessful_web.jpg
somewhatSuccessful_web.jpg (16.87 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
Last edited by osmany on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko Stuttering on Curves...requesting help!

Post by WillAdams » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:20 am

What communication / control program are you using?

Looks as if your machine is getting starved of inputs due to waiting for successive lines.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Grbl_Controller

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=20#p9098
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

osmany

Post by osmany » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Current Workflow in which I'm experiencing the curve/arc stutter is as follows:
Using "Shapeoko Hello World" file I DL'ed from Carbide3D site....and also scribbled some polylines I drew and exported via MakerCam as Profile paths-----> Load and Run using CarbideMotion

Surface Pro 3_Windows 10

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Just to see if it makes a difference, do you have a desktop computer or something you could try running Carbide Motion on instead?

Unsure if it'll help, but if you do have one you can test with it would help narrow down the cause. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 pm

Please check your settings then against the defaults as listed at: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/38-sh ... l-settings
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

osmany

Post by osmany » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:05 am

Tried the suggestions solutions and experiencing compound troubles :? ( please see video for illustration)
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... ideo%2c3gp

First I compared my GRBL settings to the specified one on the Carbide3D site..I changed $3 from "4 back to 6"..I previously had a flipped axis and by swapping $3=4 seemed to work to get my X axis jogging correctly...anyhow...I proceeded and reset my GRBL settings by pressing CRTL+1 within CarbideMotion, re'ran the Shapeoko test file and got the same slow stutter result when traveling along curves :/

I then tried creating original curvy geometries within CarbideCreate...proceeded the toolpath as "contour" which is the only option I had, and executed the GCODE via CarbideMotion and it was a success, it swooped gracefully around the curves!.....until it didn't stop...it keep on drawing some other weird variation of the drawing for the next 15 minutes over and over until it actually got tired and began stuttering on the curves once again...super weird.
I also re'ran the Shapeoko logo file and it repeated the stutter despite having already proved that it can gracefully handle curves...

I then created some original geometry within Rhino5 and export as DXF..loaded and toolpathed within CarbideCreate and ran Gcode via CarbideMotion....result; sad. It stuttered along the curves...

I'm also experiencing super slow manual jogging with this thing within CarbideMotion, its like a 5 minute operation to get to go where I want, even on "fast".

I also tried using GRBL Controller I've seen people mention....it was also a no-go. The software didn't recognize the Shapeoko.

*I did all this using my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10

I then tried using my Macbook Pro with Window 7..CarbideMotion didn't recognize the Shapeoko and it seemed to be looking for the Nomad....GRBL Controller also didn't see the Shapeoko....

I'm so spent....any ideas? please see video via link-->
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... ideo%2c3gp
GRBL_settings_compare_112315.PNG
GRBL_settings_compare_112315.PNG (212.21 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_3246.JPG
IMG_3246.JPG (177.25 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:14 am

In order to get the machine working w/ the Mac you'll need to install the USB comm drivers --- sounds as if you're installing an older version of Carbide Motion --- you need the newer beta which supports the SO3.

http://carbide3d.com/downloads/

http://carbide3d.com/files/v2/CarbideMotion-349.dmg --- this is a new build --- if it doesn't work, e-mail support@carbide3d.com w/ the specifics of your setup and see if they can provide a link to an older version which is known to work w/ your version of Mac OS X.

I wouldn't suggest testing w/ Carbide Create since it's still in beta, and if possible, try something other than Windows 10 (there's only been one report of it working, and I'm not sure if that was 32-bit or 64).

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:36 am

I can confirm that Carbide Motion works on Windows 10 64 bit. I'm using it right now on a Surface 3 controlling my Shapeoko 3. I had no problem running the Hello World and have successfully created designs in VCarve and run with Carbide Motion.

Mine does slow down in the corners but nothing like the video above.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:00 am

One other variable to eliminate --- try a different USB cable.

osmany

Post by osmany » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Thanks for your attention WillAdams & Atonwa.

With all these anomalies testing this out with just a marker, I feel reluctant to try testing with actual material and the spinning router...not sure what my next move should be. I've also been in contact with the Carbide team about this.

Any of ya'll have GRBL Controller working on your SO3? If so do you still have the EXE for 3.61? It's unavailable on the official site. Is there an extra driver or something that's required to get the SO3 & GRBL Controller to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk