Idler bearing binding along x-axis

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill

Idler bearing binding along x-axis

Post by avatar9 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:04 pm

I've been increasingly growing frustrated with SO3 ever since I got my SO3. For one, the assembly manual was ridiculous. How hard is it to put parts in baggies and have some kind of step by step numbering system to put everything together? And the major problem with communication dropping out over USB. Notorious. I had to go out and buy a specialized $60 USB isolator just so I wouldn't have to keep getting software drop outs mid job or when turning off the Dewalt 611 router. Then I discovered that the z-axis plate was wobbling back and forth causing bit chatter when cutting hard maple even after checking and tightening everything as suggested. Design error... metal in Z-plate too thin, not rigid enough to keep the huge spindle mount and router from moving. Half baked solution... drill new holes and move the lower v-wheels further down. Is the SO3 supposed to cut aluminum? Now today I discover that the idler bearings are the ones riding along the x-axis instead of the v-wheels? I don't know what to think anymore...
Attachments
Idler Bearings 2.jpg
Idler Bearings 2.jpg (429.69 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Idler Bearings 3.jpg
Idler Bearings 3.jpg (404.29 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
Idler Bearings 1.jpg
Idler Bearings 1.jpg (429.56 KiB) Viewed 1938 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Idler bearing binding along x-axis

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:04 pm

My apologies things haven't gone as smoothly for you as they might. There should be an update to the assembly manual pretty soon, the mixed parts in baggies I'm sure was a cost-savings measure, and the USB difficulties have been an on-going puzzle. FWIW, I manage to cut aluminum w/ mine, as have other people, but agree that the spindle carriage plate is looking to be the next low-hanging fruit for upgrades.

The problem w/ the idlers hitting the rail is a new one, which I don't believe anyone else has reported.

Unfortunately, there's a bit of a tolerance in the cutting of the plates --- looks as if yours may be slightly out-of-spec or at the extreme of the tolerance --- unless your idlers are pushed down to the bottom of the holes? My suggestion would be to just file the holes to be a bit larger at the top if need be --- the tensioned belt should push them up against the top and it won't matter that there's a bit of extra space at the bottom. Or, contact support@carbide3d.com and see what they can work out.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Fablicator

Post by Fablicator » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:42 pm

Depending on whether the V wheels are pushed toward the top or bottom of their holes, I would get a similar rocking of the Z carriage. Patiently adjusting both sides of wheels and the eccentric nuts may be necessary for a tight, rock free fit. When its all assembled properly, I do not have any rocking other than a slight 'give' when pushing with a bit of force.

Also, the Idlers do seem to dig into the extrusion profiles slightly on my machine as well. I have left mine as it doesn't seem to affect the cut quality so far, but will grind them down with a Dremel or belt sander if I ever take the machine apart that far again.

While the Z plate is certainly the low hanging fruit of increasing machine rigidity, it should be more than sufficient for anything short of metals. If its not, you may be cutting way to fast, or something may not be assembled correctly.

Did the USB isolator fix your drop out issues completely, and what brand? I bought one too, but mine only reduces the frequency of drop out, rather than fixes it completely. I'm tempted to wire in my own FT232 converter or buy the sparkfun board.

While there may be a lot of tiny frustrating issues, I'm still happy I bought mine. Its still way better than anything else out there for the size/price.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Fablicator wrote:... the Idlers do seem to dig into the extrusion profiles slightly on my machine as well. I have left mine as it doesn't seem to affect the cut quality so far, ...
Same here. It's not negatively affecting stuff for me, so I haven't had to work out a solution. ;)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Post by avatar9 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:48 am

Fixed the idler bearing problem. It turns out that the idler bearings had been binding on the x-axis rail from day one. I noticed it today only because the x-axis was really hard to move left to right. It turns out that the original instructions calls for little small washers under the v-wheels on the z axis. Unfortunately the size of the spacers under the idler bearings were not compensated for. The spacers supplied are too short. Went to the hardware store and bought some washers. It seems that thin washers under the spacers for the idler bearings created enough clearance. I would suggest who ever is reading this go and check your x-axis for idler binding.

Post by avatar9 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:05 am

Fablicator wrote: Did the USB isolator fix your drop out issues completely, and what brand?
I bought the Big Bear USB2ISO USB 2.0 Galvanic Isolator from www.saelig.com. I was ready to rip my hair out when I discovered the USB drop out problem. Didn't know the USB problem is notorious with these machines. I was ready to send my SO3 back and buy something else. Good thing I tried the USB isolator. They seriously need to redesign the controller board. I have no idea how people are not experiencing any issues with USB drop outs.

Post by avatar9 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:18 am

And here is yet another problem while dissembling the z-axis today I noticed the z-axis fixed pulley is not at the same plane as the mini idler or top pulley. Belt wants to come off the tension posts. Flipping the fixed pulley both ways is not helping. Maybe they gave me the wrong sized pulley or mini idler spacer? I don't know... Oh dear:(((((

Come on guys did you assemble and test out the units before selling them? If there is any hiring at your company let me know, maybe I could be a good asset to your company :lol: :lol: :lol:

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:48 am

Please contact support@carbide3d.com w/ the specifics of the parts you have — I believe there have been a couple of variations in parts (mine was an early kit and came w/ the pulley already on a bolt, making it a bit more difficult for me to understand things) and a list of the ways you’ve tried to assemble the parts and your concerns and they should work things out.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:03 pm

avatar9 wrote:And here is yet another problem while dissembling the z-axis today I noticed the z-axis fixed pulley is not at the same plane as the mini idler or top pulley. Belt wants to come off the tension posts. Flipping the fixed pulley both ways is not helping. Maybe they gave me the wrong sized pulley or mini idler spacer?
Hmmm, I can take photo's of the bits Z-axis pulleys in mine (which works ok) if it helps?
Shapeoko 3 #516

Post by avatar9 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Ok I managed to solve the problem. I cut off a portion of the fixed pulley, sanded flat and assembled. The belt seems to be level now.