How tight should v-wheels be?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
neilferreri

How tight should v-wheels be?

Post by neilferreri » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:04 am

Just started assembling my SO3, and I have a question about the eccentric nuts and the v-wheels on the Y-axis. It says the gantry should move freely, without binding, grinding, etc. When I tighten down the eccentric nuts at the bottom of the Y rails, it gets pretty tight. I would say it moves "smoothly", but definitely not "freely". Should I be able to tap it an watch it slide to the other end? Or is the resistance a good thing? Holding off on the belts until I hear from you guys.
Thanks!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: How tight should v-wheels be?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:37 pm

There should be some resistance / friction, but not much:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... g_V-wheels
Bart, the creator of Makerslide, gave the following advice on tightening the v-wheels: loosen the eccentric spacer until the v-wheel does not rotate when the carriage is moving and then tighten just (and no more!) until the v-wheel rotates when moving the carriage. Overtightening will lead to the v-wheel wearing out.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

neilferreri

Post by neilferreri » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks...that makes it pretty clear. There's a lot more fine tuning than you'd gather from the "install vs. engaged" diagrams.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:21 pm

Probably it would be clearer still if that last was reversed to, ``tighten until rotating the V-wheel begins to move the carriage'' or something along those lines.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets