Shapeoko limit switch kit? I hope they do better ....

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
Atonwa

Re: Shapeoko limit switch kit? I hope they do better ....

Post by Atonwa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:36 pm

I know it looks like a lot of work but the bCNC is worth working through. Follow the steps to install from the wiki. It is a big change from Carbide Motion but the live preview and easy homing of the MPS and WPS is worth the install. PM me if you have any questions and I can help you out if needed.

I had that moment of frustration, walked away and had a cool refreshing adult beverage. Then I went back and got it working.

With bCNC here is my process:

1. Fire up computer
2. Start bCNC
3. Turn on Shapeoko 3
4. Connect Shapeoko
5. Home machine
6. Load material
7. Set WCS by finding center of material or using 0,0 bottom left corner jig. This allows me to change bits during run or if a disconnect happens.
8. Set Z axis
9. Load project
10. Make sure units are set to inches!!!!
11. Turn on router
12. Press go and watch the magic happen :)
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi,
Ok I'll give it a shot.
I just saw that $21 needed to be issued to have the mill stop when it hits the limits.
However now, it stops in the middle of the range!

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi,
Ok I'll give it a shot.
I just saw that $21 needed to be issued to have the mill stop when it hits the limits.
However now, it stops in the middle of the range!

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Ok, got bCNC running. Thanks for the hint
For the most part it seems to behave the same as before.
Now this may be correct. However, I started from the Carb ide motion write up on the page that sells the limit switches. Based on the software configuration section iut would seem to be far easier than the realizty.
This is the one thing I don't like about Shapeoko. It's not for a NEWBIE without a lot of headaches. There documentation assumes that everyone has experience. Not so.

Ok, now, if I use bCNC and hit home, it moves to the home position, then if I issue a "Move to origion" then it goes to where I previously defined 0,0,0.
This seems to make sense.

What happens then if a tool breaks? or the program crashes. How do I get to zero again and how to change a tool?

What about opening a folder other than the whats on the C: drive??? Doens't bCNC understand network drives ?
Thanks.

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:56 pm

tomb18 wrote:Ok, got bCNC running. Thanks for the hint
For the most part it seems to behave the same as before.
Now this may be correct. However, I started from the Carb ide motion write up on the page that sells the limit switches. Based on the software configuration section iut would seem to be far easier than the realizty.
This is the one thing I don't like about Shapeoko. It's not for a NEWBIE without a lot of headaches. There documentation assumes that everyone has experience. Not so.

Ok, now, if I use bCNC and hit home, it moves to the home position, then if I issue a "Move to origion" then it goes to where I previously defined 0,0,0.
This seems to make sense.

What happens then if a tool breaks? or the program crashes. How do I get to zero again and how to change a tool?

What about opening a folder other than the whats on the C: drive??? Doens't bCNC understand network drives ?
Thanks.
So now you can set your G54 and up WPS to be your starting origin. For tool changes I split my project up into separate NC files. So with the limit switches I can now put x and Y zero to where I want for the entire project and set to say G54. Install bit and set my Z and then zero. I then move up slightly from zero for clearance starting the router to ensure I do not mark my surface.

I run my first file and when done power down router for tool change. I home to the MPS (Back right corner) and then change bit so I don't drop on my project. Reset the Z zero at the current home height and then home to the G54 position. I then lower bit to piece to set z zero over again for new tool. Raise Z and then start router. Load next project step and press go. Repeat as necessary.

I work off a file on my C: drive called CNC Files to ensure that there is no network issues. I believe you can just click on the c: box when you open file to choose where you want to pull file from but I haven't tried a network drive.

Also see note from Edward, make sure you let him know the issues you are seeing by emailing carbide support.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

tomb18

Post by tomb18 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:10 am

Thanks so much for this. This explains all.
I guess the only thing left is making the limit switches work when the gantry hits the limits when not doing A $H.
I understand that a $21=1 will set this on but in my case everything stops when it hits dead center of the setup. Any ideas?
Thanks again.

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:17 am

No problem, I'm an engineer so some of this stuff makes sense pretty quickly but I'm still a Shapeoko and GRBL beginner.

I don't have my switches set up as limits since I don't have them for either end of axis travel, I use them simply for homing only. One thing to check was you can set up "soft limits" that are travel limits from your MPS home position ($130 & $131). See if $20 is set to 1. Maybe by enabling the limit function these are activated and they are set too short for your travel (look to be set about halfway of our Shapeoko 3 travel by default.) If I remember correctly when I set my 0,0 it was something like -390mm and -300mm to the front left side of the board. If the soft limit travel is less than these then the machine will stop when it reaches that number.
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001

vasilis

Post by vasilis » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:57 pm

You can open network drives in bCNC with the net use
Look the issue:
https://github.com/vlachoudis/bCNC/issues/122

ejlatstl

Post by ejlatstl » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:53 pm

I'm on a quest to ask basic questions today... sorry.

#5 Home the Machine.
What does this mean? How it done? Is this a bCNC function? or a Shapeoko 3 function or both?
if bCNC... how?

#7. Set WCS by finding center of material or using 0,0 bottom left corner jig. This allows me to change bits during run or if a disconnect happens.
Doesn't this have to correspond to the 0,0,0 starting point on your gcode?

#8. Set Z axis
What is your technique?

Thanks!!!

Ed

With bCNC here is my process:

1. Fire up computer
2. Start bCNC
3. Turn on Shapeoko 3
4. Connect Shapeoko
5. Home machine
6. Load material
7. Set WCS by finding center of material or using 0,0 bottom left corner jig. This allows me to change bits during run or if a disconnect happens.
8. Set Z axis
9. Load project
10. Make sure units are set to inches!!!!
11. Turn on router
12. Press go and watch the magic happen :)
Ed in St Louis

Atonwa

Post by Atonwa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 am

ejlatstl wrote:I'm on a quest to ask basic questions today... sorry.

#5 Home the Machine.
What does this mean? How it done? Is this a bCNC function? or a Shapeoko 3 function or both?
if bCNC... how?

#7. Set WCS by finding center of material or using 0,0 bottom left corner jig. This allows me to change bits during run or if a disconnect happens.
Doesn't this have to correspond to the 0,0,0 starting point on your gcode?

#8. Set Z axis
What is your technique?

Thanks!!!
No problem, we were all starting out at one time.

#5 - I am not in front of my machine at the moment but there is a home button under the control tab in the top toolbar. This will always home to your machine home position (I.e. Physical home switches which in the case of the Carbide switches are top right corner of machine with z axis fully raised)

#7. Yes the G54 and up Work Position Settings are in relation to the part you are machining and not the machine itself, that is the MPS. So in my instance I usually use the top middle of my part to be 0,0. So I will physically find and mark the center of my workpiece, clamp to my machine and use the manual jog commands on the lower left of the panel until I have x, y and z to the top, center of my piece. I then zero out the actual movement by first selecting the G54 or G55 button and using the buttons under the positioning to zero. This will now be your WPS home position that the machine will go to when you press the round circle in the middle of the move pad on the left.

****Note be careful of zeroing your z and trying to home to this position as you may break your tool.

#8 I have two techniques, when I have to be very precise I use a z probe tool that I purchased and installed via the write up in the wiki from Will.

Usually I will simply lower the z very slowly while keeping a single piece of paper under the bit. When the paper just snags as it you move it back and forth that is close enough. I zero the z and then raise to ensure that when I start router it doesn't jump and make a mark on my material. Since you already zeroed on the material the machine knows using the code where that actually is no matter what coordinates your machine is currently in as long as it has been homed via the MPS and WPS above.

Hope this helps. I have a pretty major surgery tomorrow so if I go radio silence on you all after this it's been a heck of a ride!
Shapeoko 3 #109
Routakit HD Beta #001