Warning! SO3 kit allen wrench broke

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
UltiArjan

Warning! SO3 kit allen wrench broke

Post by UltiArjan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:20 pm

While mounting the first GT2, I was alternating the tension of the 2 screws, and not even hard (still holding the short side of the tool) when the tool broke of inside the screw. Luckily I was still able to get the screw out with a decent torx driver, but now I'm one screw short.
My advice would be to ditch the kit allen wrench and use a decent Torx driver.
s-brokenallenWrench.png
broken allen wrench
s-brokenallenWrench.png (373.87 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
So now I'm one screw short, but just figured out it's just M3, so I'll use a small m3 for the time being to be able to continue the build.

>> whats the best way to add an image? can I upload ? when I use the [img] brackets on a dropbox link it doesn't seem to work...
Last edited by UltiArjan on Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------------------------------------------
Shapeoko3 #1331, Makita RT0700
Ultimaker2, Ultimaker2+E3Dv6 (abs only)

RoguePirin

Re: Warning! SO3 kit allen wrench broke

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:58 pm

UltiArjan wrote:>> whats the best way to add an image? can I upload ? when I use the [img] brackets on a dropbox link it doesn't seem to work...
You can contact support, and they'll help you out with your wrench/screw.

As for adding images, I upload them to the post using the following process:
  • Below the edit window for your message, there is a tab labeled "Upload attachment"; click on it.
  • Choose the file you want to upload and then click the "Add the file" button.
  • Once the file is uploaded, it can be found in the list of "Posted Attachments" below the edit window
  • If you then click the "Place inline" button, it will add your image to your post.
Note that this only appears to work with TXT files and image files (JPG, more??). There is a limit of 3 attachments per post.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

UltiArjan

Post by UltiArjan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Thanks, the picture upload worked.

I already contacted support, also already on missing items in my shipment (they did not ship the end stop kit) did not get a reply yet ... but I understand the're a small company .. but still a bit annoying as I'm in Europe so it will take a while to get the parts

stephenhouser

Post by stephenhouser » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:24 am

Comfort in numbers. I broke the same wrench on the same screw in the same way.

For the moment, it was in the right place so I've left it to be extracted at a later time.

The only thing my kit was missing were the screws for the fan. Though I don't think they were on the parts list. Seems like an oversight. Also the red wire to the fan was detached. As I've not installed the fan, I left it off.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:00 am

Is it a good idea to use a Torx driver in a hex socket? I always prefer to use the correct tool when I have it, so I'm a bit uncomfortable with that suggestion.

From the samples I've seen, a ball end on an Allen key is not a good idea at sizes below 2.5 mm or so, especially not on the cheaper ones. The straight end is less likely to strip, strip the screw, or break, so use that if you can.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

UltiArjan

Post by UltiArjan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:13 am

cvoinescu wrote:Is it a good idea to use a Torx driver in a hex socket? I always prefer to use the correct tool when I have it, so I'm a bit uncomfortable with that suggestion.

From the samples I've seen, a ball end on an Allen key is not a good idea at sizes below 2.5 mm or so, especially not on the cheaper ones. The straight end is less likely to strip, strip the screw, or break, so use that if you can.
In my experience for the small hex screws, at least m3 and smaller a torx is prefered over the alan wrench. I read the tip a few years ago in the Ultimaker forum after people damaged there grub screws. I have know idea why I now suddenly used the tools provided, should not have don that :)
I really tighten the hell out of the grub screws on my ultimaker with a torx and not had a problem.

Actually the damaged grub screw is no issue, I used m3 x 10 on the fixed GT2 on the Zplate, where it doesn't matter that the screw is sticking out a bit.
Talking about screws. just tried 4 local shops to get a 1/8" allan wrench... nowhere to be found around here. Beats me why the whole machine is metrical except for the z-stop-posts.. so that will take a few days again to get on the web somewhere.

sgoodrich

Post by sgoodrich » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:34 am

Exactly the same issue for me, my Z pulley has an allen screw with the little ball from the tool permanently stuck in it.
I used a 1/16" allen wrench from my own tool set for the other pulleys, seemed to fit much better and no breakage.

Also no screws for the fan, ended up using zip ties to mount it.

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 am

With the fan, I kind of find it a bit noisy. Can't just leave the thing plugged in and running while doing design work without being annoyed by it. ;)

Now using one of these as a drop in replacement:

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x10-flx.html

Practically silent now. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516