V-Wheel Washer Issues

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
twforeman

Re: V-Wheel Washer Issues

Post by twforeman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Okay, because I'm crazy and I like things to be accurate I've decided what I'm going to do about this issue.

I'm still interested to see what Carbide 3D support will say, but I have my own ideas now.

McMaster-Carr sells precision shims in 0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.3mm and 0.5mm thicknesses. They come in 25 packs so I'm going to order one each. Then I'm going to take all my v-wheels apart and measure and shim each one as close to zero slop as I can.

:twisted:
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Will you be adding additional shims to the inside of the assembly (between the bearing and the plate) so as to preserve the spacing? Borrowing the extra long micrometer again so as to see if additional shims are needed to maintain parallelism / other dimensions?

Nice find and I think the best solution --- even if V-wheels are w/in spec, something like to this would still be preferable.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm

WillAdams wrote:Will you be adding additional shims to the inside of the assembly (between the bearing and the plate) so as to preserve the spacing? Borrowing the extra long micrometer again so as to see if additional shims are needed to maintain parallelism / other dimensions?

Nice find and I think the best solution --- even if V-wheels are w/in spec, something like to this would still be preferable.
I suppose to be thorough I should measure the total thickness of the bearing stackup of each assembled wheel and add shims between the bearing and the plate to make the v-wheel centers all the same distance from the plate. Good call! :)

I was thinking about borrowing the long micrometer again, but haven't done so yet. I suppose I ought to.

A lot of these adjustments rest on the assumption that all the plates are perfectly flat. I imagine they are pretty close.

A person can go a long way down the rabbit-hole of precision and accuracy with rapidly diminishing returns.
Ender 3 3D Printer

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Okay, just to go off the deep end here, I will document this proceedure, with photos, and provide a spreadsheet that calculates the shim values for you. Well, maybe the spreadsheet thing. :twisted:

I'll order the shims tonight and probably do the work on Thurs/Fri.
Ender 3 3D Printer

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:42 am

twforeman wrote:McMaster-Carr sells precision shims in 0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.3mm and 0.5mm thicknesses. They come in 25 packs so I'm going to order one each. Then I'm going to take all my v-wheels apart and measure and shim each one as close to zero slop as I can.
Okay, I was thinking about the shims and realized that the ones I listed above come in 0.1mm increments. That's 0.004" and not quite as close as I want it to fit. :evil:

So I looked again and there are these inch sized 18-8 Stainless shims that are 5.23mm (0.206") ID and 7.87mm (0.310") OD that come in 0.003", 0.005", 0.007", 0.010" and 0.020" thicknesses and with that array of sizes I should be able to make up any thickness from 0.030" to 0.040" +/- 0.001". I'm going to order up a set of these and start working on the spreadsheet for easy calculation of bearing shims and plate shims.
Ender 3 3D Printer

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:08 pm

The shims arrived yesterday. They are exactly the right size.

I created a spreadsheet to calculate which shims are needed for each wheel. It's in Google Docs, so I can share it out. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I shimmed half the wheels last night and measured the rest. I should be able to re-assemble my S3 this weekend.

I'll try and find time this weekend to document the whole process.
Ender 3 3D Printer

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:04 am

JohnP wrote:I noticed a "slight up and down" wobble along the slide rails...
Flickr album with 2x videos

Here''s a couple of videos of the variation I'm seeing. The swing (~0.008" min to max) corresponds to a complete revolution of the V-wheels, with a intra-cycle variation that implies that there are at least 2 wheels out of alignment.

I've raised the this issue (and others...) over the last 2 weeks with support at carbide3d, with no response - I'm not getting a warm and happy feeling from this experience...

-John
Shapeoko 3 #1322 - Dewalt 611, limit switches, drag chain and cable dressing

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:12 am

Our apologies.

Please check your spam folder, and if possible, e-mail again, from a different address, just in case you’re triggering their spam filter.

I’ve also sent Edward a link to your post — hopefully it’ll be addressed soon.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:36 pm

I shimmed up my wheels and documented the process in this post over in my upgrades thread: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 081#p60081

It went pretty well, and was easy to do. I haven't re-assembled the machine yet, but will probably get that done this weekend.
Ender 3 3D Printer

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:45 am

twforeman wrote:
LTEPM wrote:
twforeman wrote:Another option would be new V-Wheels. Openbuilds used to sell polycarbonate "Xtreme" V-Wheels, but I can't find them on the site anywhere. They have their Solid "Xtreme" V-Wheels, but those won't work on the S3 rails.
AIUI the extreme V wheels shattered so they stopped selling them. I have a pack of 50 open builds delrin V wheels which are wider than the ones which come with the SO3. As far I I have researched they are the same diameter as the SO3 wheels.

How do you measure the internal flange thickness?

You will also need to check for X axis carriage slop as well.
I measured the thickness of the wheel and then the distance from the face to the ridge on each side.

Sent using tapatalk.
Just a reminder when using the depth gauge on a caliper, zero it out, after years of use my digital gauge has ~ .08mm difference from my jaws. This error will double checking the flange depth from both sides.

I checked my pack of openbuilds wheels and the internal flanges are right at 1.01-1.04mm, also checked a cracked wheel that I had replaced (original Shaopeoko 3 wheel) and it was right at 1mm.