Anyone do metal V-wheel rollers?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
Gamble

Anyone do metal V-wheel rollers?

Post by Gamble » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:54 am

I have less than 3 hours of cut time on my machine as I'm still learning and today a V-wheelroller on the X axis plate shit the bed. Blew a chunk off the outside of it.
I saw these while browsing
https://www.inventables.com/technologie ... l-5mm-bore

However I rather give my money to the guys at SO
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Anyone do metal V-wheel rollers?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:50 am

The metal V-wheels are only suited for use w/ steel rails. The idea was that they would work w/ hard anodized aluminum but that’s not been the case.

One interesting observation though is that since the SO3 has a V along only one side, it should be possible to upgrade it to metal wheels by:

- turning all the extrusion around
- mounting a compatible steel V-rail profile
- getting wheels of a suitable diameter

It’s quite rare for the wheels to fail though, and usually it’s been a moulding flaw --- contact support@carbide3d.com about this and they’ll set it right, and I doubt it’ll happen (to you) again.

We looked at material alternatives to Delrin a while back, and for something made to replace a feather quill, it’s surprisingly well-suited to this.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Those steel V-groove bearings are excellent. (Well, I don't know about the ones from Inventables, but I'm very, very happy with the ones I sourced.) I use them in a machine that faces roughly cut MakerSlide, shaving 0.5 mm off in one pass over the entire height of the profile, with a 1/4" endmill (1" length of cut). The wheels are nice and rigid. (MakerSlide is 6005A-T6 and varies between about 5 mm and more than 12 mm of vertical contact between the endmill and the stock. I remove between 0.3 and 0.7 mm in one pass -- conventional cut.)

However, after only 100 cycles, the anodic layer on the MakerSlide is mostly gone. The machine still works great, but, if you use those steel V-groove bearings, the rails must be treated as consumables. I think I'll get at least 2000 cycles before I need to replace the rails. I would be reluctant to do that with a Shapeoko 3, but MakerSlide is easily available, so I have no qualms about that.

I might try hard anodizing, if I can find a local shop do do a couple of pieces for not a lot of money. I have some hardcoat OpenRail I can try, too, if I have too much time on my hands. But yes, steel rail is the way to go.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:09 pm

I also thought about turning the makerslide around and attaching a steel v-rail...or even something that I could use with skate bearings. When I read other post about the plastic v wheels failing, I promptly purchased a couple of spares!
WillAdams wrote:The metal V-wheels are only suited for use w/ steel rails. The idea was that they would work w/ hard anodized aluminum but that’s not been the case.

One interesting observation though is that since the SO3 has a V along only one side, it should be possible to upgrade it to metal wheels by:

- turning all the extrusion around
- mounting a compatible steel V-rail profile
- getting wheels of a suitable diameter

It’s quite rare for the wheels to fail though, and usually it’s been a moulding flaw --- contact support@carbide3d.com about this and they’ll set it right, and I doubt it’ll happen (to you) again.

We looked at material alternatives to Delrin a while back, and for something made to replace a feather quill, it’s surprisingly well-suited to this.
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:34 pm

cvoinescu wrote:I might try hard anodizing, if I can find a local shop do do a couple of pieces for not a lot of money. I have some hardcoat OpenRail I can try, too, if I have too much time on my hands. But yes, steel rail is the way to go.
There's a decent amount of info on the Net for doing standard aluminium anodizing, but there doesn't seem to be good info for doing hard anodizing. eg voltage & current settings, recommended bath/solution, etc

Don't suppose you've come across the info? :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:01 pm

You need a refrigerated tank, just above freezing. That's enough to convince me to leave it to the professionals. :)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:26 pm

cvoinescu wrote:You need a refrigerated tank, just above freezing. That's enough to convince me to leave it to the professionals. :)
Do it in your chest freezer?
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:23 pm

cvoinescu wrote:You need a refrigerated tank, just above freezing. That's enough to convince me to leave it to the professionals. :)
Where did you find the info? If you can point me at it, I might give it a shot. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:05 am

Went looking earlier, and the closest to actually useful info for hard anodizing is here:

http://www.caswellplating.com/anodizing ... ystem.html

It has temperature range, rough info on bath composition, and voltage/current requirements. Which every other place seems to skip over. :evil:

There are BS / MIL (etc) standards for hard anodizing (called Type III apparently), but they don't seem to be publicly available. Needs to be purchased from the appropriate standards body (etc).
Shapeoko 3 #516

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:46 pm

I didn't have more information than that, sorry. Type III is the US name, yes.