X Axis Woes

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
RWheaton

X Axis Woes

Post by RWheaton » Tue May 03, 2016 12:45 am

Just assembled my Shapeoko 3 this weekend and attempted to run Hello World rather unsuccessfully. When running the program the Y motions looked right, but X was another story. Instead of spreading across the page, each letter was scribbled on top of the previous one while the spindle moved maybe a 2 inch radius in the X axis. Y seemed to be behaving. This was all through Carbide Motion. I tried again through Universal G Code Sender, same result.

Another issue the X axis has is after homing, trying to use the rapid positioning results in the Y axis moving while the X stepper motor lurches, hums and stops, without ever leaving its position.

I've checked belt tension, V wheel tightness, X stepper pulley set screws, belt orientation to pulley, my GRBL settings are standard with exception of homing switched on.

Any help would be appreciated, I've been banging my head against the screen all weekend.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: X Axis Woes

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 03, 2016 12:56 am

May be an issue w/ the board or the wiring.

Try unplugging the connectors, cleaning them off, then reconnecting — if that doesn’t help, contact support@carbide3d.com and they’ll get you moving properly.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

RWheaton

Re: X Axis Woes

Post by RWheaton » Tue May 03, 2016 1:15 am

Problem sorted out after much back and forth. X stepper motor was bad and the controller port was bad. It is possible that the bad stepper fried the controller port or neither one was functional from the start. Carbide 3d replaced both parts, machine works flawlessly now. Ignoring any user error of course.