Where are the official instructions for home switch install?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
cobalt60

Where are the official instructions for home switch install?

Post by cobalt60 » Sat May 28, 2016 1:35 am

Hey, I got a Shapeoko 3, with the homing switches add-on.

What, uh, is the intended installation method? It's not in the install process, nor is there any ancillary documentation I've seen yet.

May be obvious, thanks for any help!

CastIrony

Re: Where are the official instructions for home switch inst

Post by CastIrony » Sat May 28, 2016 2:23 am

They put it in the Carbide3D Knowledge Base:

http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/67-sh ... stallation
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

cobalt60

Post by cobalt60 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks! That install took me an embarrassing amount of double-takes and do-overs but all's good so far.

The Z-axis wire on mine seems WAY short, though. Like, if I thread it out of the top of the box created by the four stand-offs, it wont allow full range of movement. If I thread it out the left between the stand-offs, it works UNLESS it gets snagged on the corner of the protective box around the board. If that happens, it can prevent full range of motion (or break, I assume, haven't had to test that yet).

On the software side, I can now do the $h command, which is neat. However, if I jog the machine back into the switches, I can still bottom-out on all three axes -- how can these switches help prevent that?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 28, 2016 10:09 am

They’re home, not limit switches.

Discussion here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... t_Switches

FWIW, links to the instructions are on that page in the SO3 section.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cobalt60

Post by cobalt60 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:34 pm

Great, that's helpful, I have a lot to learn about all this.

So, I understand the differences between home and limit, I believe, but a few things still elude me:

-- Is there some way for Carbide Motion to "go home" by default, like when it starts up, finishes a job, or (perhaps most important for now) needs to change tools?

-- If I set Grbl configuration $20=1 in Carbide Motion, does that permanently set a soft limit at my home switches? Like, I won't be able to jog the machine past a point it cannot go?

-- Does that setting also start me towards working with work coordinate systems? or are there some other steps needed to get that going?

Thanks!'

EDIT: The z-axis wire length is definitely an issue. Looks like the instructions online use a white PCB while mine is a dark blue, and maybe the pins are located differently? It really just needs a few extra inches, but currently it's dangerous to let it run the full x-axis length, since it can snag on just the corner of the protective box and yank the wire quite hard.