new x-axis and z-axis plates -- updated instructions?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
kevinchartier

new x-axis and z-axis plates -- updated instructions?

Post by kevinchartier » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:04 pm

I received my kit a few days ago, and it appears that I have some updated x-axis and z-axis plates with some improvements. They have nuts embedded in the plates in several places (like the straps for the base), and several adjustable (oblong) holes are now fixed (circular). Also, there seems to be a new standoff for tensioning the belt.

While these improvements all seem excellent, there are a few things I can't figure out. First, the z-axis plate is much shorter than what I see in the latest assembly manual, and I don't know where to attach the spindle mount. Second, the aluminum spacers next to the fixed GT2 pulley are so close together that I can't fit the belt between them. Do we have any preliminary instructions for these updated plates?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: new x-axis and z-axis plates -- updated instructions?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:18 pm

The sidebar on the wiki has a link: Shapeoko 3 - Assembly Instructions under the Shapeoko 3 section which links to:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... structions

which in turn links to: http://community.carbide3d.com/t/s03-as ... e-xxl/1858 --- XXL only at this time.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kevinchartier

Post by kevinchartier » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:21 pm

Thank you! This looks much more familiar. :) I hadn't considered these because my machine is a normal size, not XXL, but the x and z plates look just like what I received, and I can see now how I'll be able to install the spindle mount. It looks like this version gives me some extra z-axis travel, which is definitely a nice bonus!

In the instructions, it's noted that "The X/Z carriage comes pre-assembled and tensioned properly," but mine did not come assembled, and the difference in the aluminum spacer placement makes it unclear to me how the belt should be routed. Do we know if there are any instructions or pictures showing how to assemble the new X/Z carriage?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Edward had made a new .pdf but had not yet posted it.

I've uploaded it to the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... sembly.pdf

Hopefully that will help.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kevinchartier

Post by kevinchartier » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:12 pm

This is perfect! Thank you!

dogsop

Post by dogsop » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Is the new plate compatible with the original machine? If so is it available as a separate part?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:55 pm

It ought to be compatible, can’t see why it wouldn’t.

Carbide 3D has often stated that they plan to sell upgrade parts, so it should become available.

Kyleitzen

Post by Kyleitzen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:22 am

If they upgraded the Shapoko 3 with a new Z axis plate to reduce flex issues, and it is now currently shipping with machines. Are they going to swap out everyone that has the original design? Or is it going to be available for purchase for everyone that has already purchased a machine
SO3: Mods: baltic birch worksurface, vacuum table
Primary use: plastics engraving, name tags
www.ItzenSigns.com

kevinchartier

Post by kevinchartier » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:36 am

In the new x-axis plate standoff for tensioning the belt, do we know the size of screw required? I couldn't find anything that seemed to fit in the kit (M3 was too small and M5 too large), so I got some M4 screws, and they still seemed too large. The closest I could find so far are #6-32 (coarse thread), but the threads still don't seem quite right. My best guess at this point is #6-40 (fine thread), but I don't have any of those around, so I haven't been able to test yet.

kevinchartier

Post by kevinchartier » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:24 pm

I also sent an email to support about the screw size. I try to avoid that, because I know that support emails can be time-consuming to respond to, but this seems like it would be really quick/easy to answer. I'll post here when I get a response.

On the topic of upgrading old units with the new plate, it appears to me that the z axis plate could be swapped into existing units without any other part changes. But this is my first Shapeoko, so I have very little experience and could certainly be wrong.