#1153 finally alive

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
hatallica

#1153 finally alive

Post by hatallica » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:45 pm

Life got in the way for 6+ months, but SO3 #1153 finally generated some wood chips yesterday. It was just a few pockets in a piece of scrap wood, but it was enough to validate a design.

Running wires and cords through metal channels makes me queasy. Hence, rubber grommets were sliced and wrapped around the Y-axis servo wires, as well as the USB/Power cables. These are old stock that I had on-hand, in a bag that was only labeled 5/16" Hole. Wire wrap was added to dress the X-axis and Z-axis wires, as well as the USB/Power cables. This is from Harbor Freight.http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarte ... 66985.html

My router will also serve duty as a router off of the SO3, so I fashioned a temporary cord guide from a scrap of 12AWG wire.

While I was playing around, I added some simple reminders with blue painters tape, such as the +/- direction of each axis and the "origin" corner (i.e. most negative X,Y). I also marked the waste board with the work space "origin" (where the bit rests when X,Y are at their most negative locations).

Sadly, I am noticeably out-of-square. When the Y-axis is moved fully to the rear, the plate on one side touches while the other side has a gap of perhaps 0.1". For my near-term projects, this will not be a big deal. Long term, though, I will need to coerce alignment. If someone has previously remedied this exact symptom, then I would certainly appreciate your feedback.

~ph
Shapeoko3 #1153

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: #1153 finally alive

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:43 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

hatallica

Re: #1153 finally alive

Post by hatallica » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:50 pm

Good stuff, Will. Thanks.
Shapeoko3 #1153