New z axis plate

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
CastIrony

Re: New z axis plate

Post by CastIrony » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:06 am

The replacement wheel came today, and tonight I put everything together:
IMG_2596 2.jpg
IMG_2596 2.jpg (177.27 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
I'm really happy with the end result. It looks nice, I have way more Z clearance (without mounting the router so high that I can't press the lock button), and I'm seeing about 1/10th of the deflection when I push it.

The black paint on it is different than the rest of my (pretty early) machine. It's not very noticeable when the machine is assembled, but the texture is a lot smoother than the other panels.

Because the springs are mostly covered by the new plate, it was a huge pain to hang them on the screw pegs. I'm sure there's some really easy way I'm missing, but I ended up having to fish them up with a pair of needle nose pliers, and it took about an hour for both springs.

The PEM nuts are awesome. I'm kind of jealous of anyone with a later model machine that got to assemble the whole thing with those. :D
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 am

Agree, the PEM nuts were a brilliant way to simplify the machine, and to improve its structure.

Really looking forward to my new plate and XL upgrade arriving today.

The differing powder coat textures are kind of annoying — had to replace one of my plates which was bent — fortunately my machine lives in a dim basement, so it doesn’t usually bother me, but I suspect I’ll get annoyed once again when I start cutting Ipê on the back deck again.

We do need to come up w/ some interesting project for the surplus plates though....
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Gamble

Post by Gamble » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:55 pm

looks nice, how long did it take to replace the plate?

I'm still waiting for a shipping notification on mine
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Gamble wrote:looks nice, how long did it take to replace the plate?

I'm still waiting for a shipping notification on mine
Probably about three hours, but that includes way too much time messing with the springs, quite a bit of time spent trying to tension the Z belt before I figured out the easy way, and about ten minutes taking the X/Z carriage back off because I'd forgotten to run the X belt through before putting it on.

Done a second time, I could probably get it down to 1.5-2 hours.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

Gamble

Post by Gamble » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:25 am

Got my new plate installed tonight. It's a lot nicer for sure! Took about 45 minutes to do the swap. I took off the vertical alumium rail so I could get the z plate in, then slide this in and then fought with the screw on the bottom for awhile. I also did fight with the belt for a good 15 minutes as well.
You have to check the accentric nuts otherwise you will have side to side slop

Everything worked well, but half way through a cut it got stuck on something and wouldn't drop all the way down. Played around a little bit and didn't see anything getting stuck so I forced it and it broke free. maybe a piece of debris got stuck in the wheel...Idk.
Still having other issues that are driving me crazy though. i swear it never drills the holes as deep as I need it to, and when doing the profile cut i swear it cuts deeper than it needs to
CNC Plasma Table
Tig, Mig Welders
Shapeoko3

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:50 am

I had similar difficulties due to inadequate belt tension.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

shoko3pr

Post by shoko3pr » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Installed the z axis plate upgrade and it makes a great difference for aluminum cutting.
Thanks to our friends@carbide3d ;)