Squaring X Axis Carriage/Z Axis Plate

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
Millertime

Squaring X Axis Carriage/Z Axis Plate

Post by Millertime » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:16 pm

This all started when I noticed lines on my waste board when I trammed it.

I decided to try tramming half the board in the Y axis direction instead of X and the lines seem to disappear.

Some searching on here showed me that my spindle was out of alignment. The Y axis rails are all evenly spaced from the base frame to the best of my ability. The gantry is slightly out of alignment but the Z axis plate is out of alignment even more which hopefully you can tell in the pictures. If it's not obvious looking at the square then look at the plate compared to the z axis guide rails.

I loosened the bolts on the Y axis plates to try and square up the gantry but the extrusion didn't seem to be able to move. I'm not sure what how to square up the z axis plate. I didn't see anything on the wiki about how to exactly address these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I need to take any more pictures to answer any questions please let me know.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Squaring X Axis Carriage/Z Axis Plate

Post by WillAdams » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:46 pm

Drill out the holes to square up the extrusions, including the Y-axis.

Even small deviations are magnified over the length of the extrusions.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 am

Don't forget that when your router is mounted, it will add a lot of load to the Z-Plate too. This will tend to kick it out even further. You can get all technical about the sort of angle you actually need to have it set to without any load, but there's also a reality check with it too. You only really see any issues with it if you are using a large diameter cutter (such as when flattening your table). Most of the time, these machines are designed for using small cutters, where the few degrees off vertical in that plane will not have a material impact.
Good luck trying to solve it though. I believe that Will's method is sensible, although you may only want to enlarge three of the four mounting holes, so that you have a known pivot point at both ends.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

SmokyRick

Post by SmokyRick » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:09 am

Looks to me like you could add a washer behind your V-wheels to push the bottom of your Z-axis plate out. I don't have an S3, so this is just based on the picture I see here.
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.

Millertime

Post by Millertime » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas. I will give these a try when I get a chance. I like the idea of leaving one hole to act as a pivot point.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to square up the z axis plate?