Shapeoko 3 XL upgrade --- Some thoughts

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Shapeoko 3 XL upgrade --- Some thoughts

Post by WillAdams » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:49 pm

It's big, really wants a dedicated workspace. Went w/ a sheet of plywood: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/152976 ... -x-48.aspx

You'll want a vacuum handy to clean up your old machine as you dismantle it. (finishing up my cyclone system: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ams#Vacuum )

We'll need to come up w/ Some interesting projects to use the left over parts. For now I'm storing mine in the original box.

Some nice improvements since the machines first shipped. Will start by modding the original Z-axis plate to accept my new 65 mm spindle mount.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Markspens

Re: Shapeoko 3 XL upgrade --- Some thoughts

Post by Markspens » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:29 pm

Just received shipping notification on my XL upgrade so I should have it by the end of next week. I expect I'll do a video of the build (upgrade) and post it if anyone is interested.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeah, some more assembly videos would be welcome, esp. one on doing the upgrade.

Still working the 65mm spindle mount --- going to need to countersink the holes in the plate, and get suitable hardware, and tap the holes in the mount. Then I have to decide about doing this to the new spindle mount plate.

Kind of wonder what it would've looked like w/o the requirement of being in the same space on the layout as the original.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Or, maybe I'll just thread the holes in the plate --- or maybe source some PEM nuts myself?

Not in stock at Amazon AFaICT....

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Okay, got a bit further.

- kind of bummed about the homing vice limit switches, but will try them as they are at first --- still kind of surprised that so much extra structure is needed for them.
- getting really annoyed about the mixing in of Imperial hardware (threaded spacers wanting a 1/8" hex key) --- may have to get out some touch up paint and mark them somehow
- really like the new style belt anchors --- huge improvement --- wish there was a simple way to use them on the X-axis (for an upgraded machine which uses the older M3 hardware) --- perhaps use longer stand-offs to push the X-axis motor farther out and line up w/ the correct-sized holes? EDIT: No, would interfere w/ drag chains
- there's a lot of drag chain for an XL-sized machine --- wish there was some easy way to ensure everyone got only what was needed
- machines which don't have PEM nuts in some places will be short by a few M5 nuts

Markspens

Post by Markspens » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:19 am

Good info Will, I'll keep that in mind when I get my upgrade next week.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Thanks!

May have been premature about the nuts seems I'll have hardware left over.

planning a hardware run now for:

- M3 hex (but had to settle for Philips) flat countersink machine screws (to fasten the drag chain to the rails)
- M3 tap

and some other odds and ends

and trying to update the B.O.M. http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/B.O.M.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:19 am

Guess I'll try the adhesive for the drag chain first.

Didn't like how the drag chain on the gantry X-axis was lining up, so added half-a-dozen washers to space it farther back.

Similarly, the mounting plate for the Y-axis run feels too far back. Will probably drill it out to use the extrusion bolts.

And I'm going to cut a spacer board to mount in-between the wasteboard and the PVC and T-track. Hope for my will get all that cut and mounted tomorrow.

Markspens

Post by Markspens » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:55 am

*taking notes for when my upgrade arrives. :)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:18 am

I also mounted the X-axis limit switch on the other side of the plate -- it was hitting the belt anchor, reducing the travel a bit. Used a button head cap screw to keep it from interfering with the drag chain. That was the other reason for the washers.