How are the axis directions named?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
reibuehl

How are the axis directions named?

Post by reibuehl » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi all,

maybe a trivial question, but I am a beginner: What is the usual directions for the axis on my Shapeoko? E.g. is X+ a left or right on the X axis, is Y+ a forward or backwards on the Y axis and is Z+ up or down on the Z axis?

Best regards,
Reiner

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: How are the axis directions named?

Post by WillAdams » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Not trivial at all (and a matter of some debate)

Used to be in the instructions: http://shapeoko.github.io/Docs/electronics.html
Go For a Spin
Z-Axis --- (Counterclockwise) Note that when testing, the Z-axis should turn for a longer duration than the other axes since the screw requires more revolutions to move a given distance than the belts used on the X- and Y-axes. With the standard drive (M8 on Z, 20-tooth GT2 on X and Y), for the same distance travelled, the Z motor turns 8 times more than the X and Y motors. Positive moves are up, negative are down.

Another Spin
X-Axis --- (Counterclockwise) the X- and Y-axis should move for the same duration for a given degree of movement. Positive moves will be to the right, negative towards the left.

And a Final Spin
Y-Axis --- (Both Clockwise and Counterclockwise) make certain that the two motors for the Y-axis are rotating in opposite directions --- the one which is for the right side of the gantry should turn clockwise, the one for the left should turn counter-clockwise. Positive moves will be away from the front of the machine, negative moves towards the front.
Please see the glossary anytime terms are confusing http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Glossary
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

reibuehl

Post by reibuehl » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:22 pm

I thought that this is something with a potential for religious discussions ;-) I've seen those on the same topic when it comes to 3D printers.

Thanks for explaining the Shapeoko notation, @WillAdams!

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:54 pm

reibuehl wrote:I thought that this is something with a potential for religious discussions ;)
Thankfully, no. It's pretty much agreed that the axes match what we usually see in CAD programs, which is X to the right and Y to the top as viewed from the top, with Z pointing upwards. It's the same for 3D printers.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

reibuehl

Post by reibuehl » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:09 pm

What is the desired position for homing then? My current setup homes at (max X, max Y, max Z) in that coordinate system. Is this okay or should I use the $23 bitmask to set it to (min X, min Y, max Z)? I have limit switches on both ends of the X and Y axis...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Top right is traditional 'cause it's safest --- use a work coordinate system to map from that.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets