Shaeoko 3XXL assembled, but out of square (SOLVED)

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
kimothy

Shaeoko 3XXL assembled, but out of square (SOLVED)

Post by kimothy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Hello,
This is my first post, and actually my first attempt at CNC. I found the S3XXL quite easy to assemble, but I am having trouble getting it squared. When I pull the gantry to the front the left side is against the frame, and when I let go the right side slides away from the frame about 1/16 of an inch. I have tried loosening the bolts, on both the table and the X and Y, but when I try tightening them I still get the gap on the right side. I have it leveled correctly. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you resolve it? I am "chomping at the bit" to run Hello World.
Thanks,
Kimothy
Last edited by kimothy on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shaeoko 3XXL assembled, but out of square

Post by WillAdams » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:23 pm

Official suggestion is
Squaring Gantry to Front/Rear Plates

Loosen all of the screws that hold the gantry together (4 on each side), these should still be loose from the initial assembly.

Loosen the screws that hold the Y axis rails in place (16 total). These should also still be loose from the initial assembly.

Slide the gantry to the front, so both Y plates are touching the front plate.

While holding the gantry against the front of the machine tighten the front of the Y rails (8 total)

Now - systematically begin tightening the 8 bolts on the gantry. Work your way from left to right, going back and forth in a X pattern (similar to tightening the wheel of a car).

After the gantry has been secured, slide the gantry to the rear of the machine and tighten the 8 screws while keeping the gantry pressed against the rear plate
More at

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... Shapeoko_3
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

GoSpeedRacer

Re: Shaeoko 3XXL assembled, but out of square

Post by GoSpeedRacer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:19 am

On my XL I had to use shim stock (from the hobby shop) to shim the gantry into alignment. I believe it is because the ends of the extrusions are not square

danelectro

Re: Shaeoko 3XXL assembled, but out of square (SOLVED)

Post by danelectro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:02 pm

I have the same problem which I discovered immediately after building my machine. I followed the directions in the assembly instructions for squaring the machine when I built it and when I loosened the screws and did it again when realized it was out of square, but it didn't fix it as the gantry still has the same gap at the left side plate.

My temporary fix has been to hold the gantry flush against both front plates while powering up the machine in which case the stepper motors hold it in alignment, but this isn't the best solution.

None of the brackets appear to be bent and I think that speedracer correctly identified the problem as being the ends of the gantry extrusion being out of square. I have about an 1/8 gap on the left side of my S3 XL which calculates out to about a .006" shim that will be required between the gantry extrusion and the end plates. I'll check the squareness of the extrusion whenever I find time to disassemble the machine and I'll report back on my findings.