y-axis limit switch installation issue

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
paulbianchi

y-axis limit switch installation issue

Post by paulbianchi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Hello,
Just received my limit switch kit, and ran into a problem with the y-axis switch. The hole drilled into the plate is too close to the v-wheel to allow the standoff to be bolted on.
I don't think even a thinner standoff would work. I could drill new holes in both plates but would rather not take the gantry apart to do so. I suspect I may have an early version of the Shapeoko 3 (ordered January 2016) that was later modified slightly, as the screws that came with the limit switch kit didn't match the original standoffs on the z-axis plate. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Paul Bianchi
Attachments
limit-1.jpg
limit-1.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
limit-3.jpg
limit-3.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

twforeman

Re: y-axis limit switch installation issue

Post by twforeman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:22 pm

First thing that popped into my head was that you could just file a flat onto the standoff so it clears the wheel.

You could contact support at Carbide 3D and they would probably send you a new plate, but that would require disassembling the machine to install.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:54 pm

My inclination would be to take a round file to the hole and enlarge it up and to the right, and if it wouldn't stay there, fill in the bottom left w/ a bit of epoxy (or J.B. Weld) --- use a straw or something to keep the hole from filling in.

Or, do as Tim suggested, e-mail support and we'll send a replacement plate --- your choice.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

paulbianchi

Post by paulbianchi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 pm

Dang, that was obvious, wasn't it? Will go do that right now. Thanks!

twforeman wrote:First thing that popped into my head was that you could just file a flat onto the standoff so it clears the wheel.

You could contact support at Carbide 3D and they would probably send you a new plate, but that would require disassembling the machine to install.

paulbianchi

Post by paulbianchi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Worked! Thanks!