How to center workpiece after homing?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
lorenolepi

How to center workpiece after homing?

Post by lorenolepi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi Guys,
Just upgraded my shapeoko 3 to the XXL that includes homing switches. Im really excited to use it but running into a little trouble right from the start and it with the basic zeroing of the machine. Before I had homing switches I would zero the router on the workpiece and then turn on machine... boom it was set to zero! All I would have to do is jog the machine up on the machine and hit run. Now the machine goes to the home and I need to jog over to the work piece to set sero. Does this mean I need to fixture the workpiece and somehow automatically jog to the workpiece??
I'm not understanding how I can jog the machine to zero from my computer while still seeing where the endmill is on the workpiece as they are some distance away (I'm using a desktop with usb extenders). How is this magic done???

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: How to center workpiece after homing?

Post by WillAdams » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

lorenolepi

Post by lorenolepi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Thank you... that document was very helpful and was exactly what I was looking for.
It also confirms that I need to jog to the work-piece. This is problematic for me as I'm on a desktop that is located about 15ft away from my machine.. making it really hard to see the work-piece. So I was thinking of ways to be able to jog "remotely" from my shapeoko XXL. A cheap and effective way I found was using "Real VNC".
Real VNC allows me to remote into my desktop via a phone/tablet and I'm able to hit the jog buttons on the desktop remotely on the wireless devices. Although not the ultimate solution, it is a working solution for now and its free! Kinda slick too when you show your friends that your controlling your machine through your phone...lol

So what are other people using/doing for jogging remotely?? Is there any jog wheels that can be plugged in (thinking of what I see on CMM machines)
Also is there any probe solutions for the XXL? And do probes only work on metal parts?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:21 pm

If your machine has Bluetooth it's easy to connect a Wii Remote and map its buttons to the keyboard controls, or just use a numeric keypad:

https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Pendant

Surprised maintaining a connection isn't a problem at that distance.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

lorenolepi

Post by lorenolepi » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:34 pm

That's awesome... I like the numeric Keypad option!

To maintain the connection between the desktop and machine I'm using active usb2 extender cables, as I don't want my computer too close the action.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Hi ... able&psc=1

lorenolepi

Post by lorenolepi » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 am

I tried it out with a keyboard and a wireless keyboard and I'm really liking the ability to jog using the key commands :D
I was able to get X&Y to move using the arrow keys but unable to get the Z to move, nor change the increments on either keyboard. I tried num locks on/off... used both numbers sets 1,2,3,4,5 and other page up/page buttons, etc.. but still no luck with either keyboard.
Any clues? I was thinking about getting the wireless numeric keypad but wanted to make sure it will work before spending the $$
Running build 4.0.406 of carbide motion

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I do not know if they changed the default keyboard options for CM4 --- I'd hope not.

I'd thought we had the keys broken out....