Struggling with mirror image

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
donlmeeks

Struggling with mirror image

Post by donlmeeks » Sat May 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Completely new here. I have always thought I was reasonably quick to pick things up. I have been humbled by this process. Have my Shapeoko 3 set up. As many others here experienced my hello world did not go as hoped. If I knew how to add a picture here I would. I have the same reversed picture that roadweanie posted on 9/20/015.
I followed the process to to send the values through the log screen. Now I get an error... setting disabled.

This is extremely frustrating to a novice. It is as if I have to know what the problem is in order to understand the solution. If I knew the problem I would be able to work through the solution. The more I try the solutions given in random places on here the farther I get from getting this to work. Is there a set of directions somewhere that doesn't require me to go to another set of instructions to understand them. or can someone tell me what the problem actually is. One solution was to compare the default grbl settings to another list found somewhere else. this is the crux of the problem if you don't know the first thing in the chain. I do not want to go further at this point as I will get deeper into the weeds.

Please help, whomever is the company guru here.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Struggling with mirror image

Post by WillAdams » Sat May 13, 2017 8:08 pm

Is it mirrored vertically, or side to side?

If it's mirrored vertically, the easiest thing to do is to power down and swap the two Y-axis connectors on the controller.

We have an article on this here: http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/176-s ... d-reversal

It merely sends one to: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Grbl#Grbl0.9 for some numbers
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

camueller

Post by camueller » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Why are all the links to doc.carbide3d.com broken? I have had my shapeoko 3 2015 version sitting in a box for a year and a half unopened. I finally got around to getting it together this weekend and it is printing in mirror image side to side. I'd love to read that link provided in the response above, but just about every help doc I find on the shapeoko site is a broken link. What gives? Making things tough on this newbie.

I read on one setup guide somewhere around here that had a list of common problems. One of them had something to do with a mirror image. But I can't for the life of me find that guide again.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Please accept our apologies, we've been working on updating the site and it hasn't gone as smoothly as we'd like.

I believe the article you were referring to is this:
Please disable homing, and then verify that the travel direction is as desired:

- X +/positive moves should be toward the right, -/negative moves should be to the left
- Y +/positive moves should be away from you, -/negative moves towards you
- Z +/positive should raise the spindle, -/negative should lower it

If one (or more) of those is/are backwards, there are a couple of ways to reverse things, some mechanical, some electronic, one which is a bit of both, and also flipping bits in Grbl.

Mechanical:

- you can reverse the Z-axis by flipping the Z-axis spindle carriage plate over --- the static pulley should be on the left from the front

Electro-mechanical:

- the Y-axis can be reversed by powering down and then swapping the connectors for the two motors on the controller

Electronic:

any axis may be reversed by doing one of the following (after powering down):
- swap either the left-most or right-most pair of wires
- swap the left-most and the right-most pairs of wires (preserving their order)
- reverse the order of all four wires

(all the possibilities are covered in case a wire is wired oddly --- you can set it right by making it match the others per the above if need be --- be careful to ensure that the Y-axis continues to be counter-rotating so that the two motors will move in unison on their opposite plates).

Or, one can just swap an axis (or more than one) using the invert bit in Grbl:

- connect to the machine
- bring up the MDI pane
- bring up the Log window (go to Settings to do this)
- switch back to the MDI
- send $$ to the machine from the MDI
- The invert bit is $3 --- take note of what it is set to and add or subtract 1, 2, or 4 depending on which axis you wish to reverse:

X = 1
Y = 2
Z = 4

changing the number so as to stay between 0--7 --- there's a table with all the possible combinations here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Grbl#Grbl0.9

For specific instances:

Z-axis:
If 0, then enter $3=4
If 1, then enter $3=5
If 2, then enter $3=6
If 3, then enter $3=7
if 4, then enter $3=0
if 5, then enter $3=1
if 6, then enter $3=2
if 7, then enter $3=3

Once you have the machine moving in the right direction, then homing should just work once you re-enable it.

First though, you can verify the various switches by depressing them --- there's a light on the new controller boards which will light up when a switch is depressed. Use that to verify that each switch is good --- also ensure that mechanically the machine will engage each switch, then make certain that the machine stops as it reaches each axis --- if it fails to for an axis, power down and ensure the switch is still good and plugged into the proper connector (it's especially easy to have X and Y reversed).
Please let us know if you have any further questions!
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Dan_the_Chemist

Post by Dan_the_Chemist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:43 pm

.melborp a si taht kniht uoy yhw ees t'nod I

:lol:

camueller

Post by camueller » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:50 pm

WillAdams wrote:Please accept our apologies, we've been working on updating the site and it hasn't gone as smoothly as we'd like.

I believe the article you were referring to is this:

Please let us know if you have any further questions!
Thank you! that is the article I was referring to. I actually figured out that my problem was that I had the Y-axis motors connected to the control board backwards. I had plugged the wiring harness to the closest Y axis marked connection point on the board, just like the diagram in the install doc showed. But apparently that was backwards, as I realized my image was mirrored vertically rather than horizontally. I was able to successfully run Hello World so I'm on to figuring out the software side of all this. And looking for a space in my shop to build a table.

I certainly look forward to the links working again. I felt like I was missing a lot of helpful info during my build. But I get what I deserve for letting this thing sit unopened in its box for a little less than 2 years.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Mostly the information is there now --- it's just moved around / URLs have changed.

Start at:

http://docs.carbide3d.com/

and you should be able to get to everything --- if there's something you're looking to know which you're not finding there, and which isn't on the wiki: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page --- let us know and we'll try to puzzle it out.