What the bleep is going on?

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
turbo1zz

What the bleep is going on?

Post by turbo1zz » Sun May 14, 2017 6:41 pm

So I got my Shapeoko 3 together and ran the test on some paper and all looked ok for the most part. I did a few adjustments to assure all was in allignment and everything was tightened down and the belt were not loose. I then go into Carbide create and do a simple pocket to do a test run with the actual router and this is what it does. I decide maybe it's Carbide create so I do another using a different cam program and the same thing happens. What on earth is going on here? I figured someone on here might now what I'm doing wrong. I am using the out of the box hardware running Carbide motion and using Carbide create to do simple 2d work. I would have assumed this would be a perfet marriage since everything being used is meant to be used together. Please help me through this as I'm loosing hair as it is, I don't need this helping that along.
0514171044.jpg
This should be a circle
0514171044.jpg (160.54 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
0514171044a.jpg
I ran it twice in the same spot so there is overlap
0514171044a.jpg (161.03 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

hatallica

Re: What the bleep is going on?

Post by hatallica » Mon May 15, 2017 11:43 am

I am confident that Carbide Create/Motion can be ruled out as a possible culprit.

My initial reaction to the photo, is that it looks like something is slipping. I know that you indicated that the belts were checked, but ...

Would it be possible to share your settings? What size and type of bit was being used? What router/spindle? Depth of cut per pass and feed rate? This will help to understand what loads were placed on the machine and maybe lend a bit more guidance.
Shapeoko3 #1153

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Mon May 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Looks like loose belts or slipping pulleys to me.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

Dan_the_Chemist

Post by Dan_the_Chemist » Mon May 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Quick thought...

The Logo test doesn't apply any side forces to the SO3. If you were cutting hard and deep, then there might be belt slippage as the stepper motors fight against the force being generated by the router bit.

What were you using for material, router bit, depth of cut, speed of cut, overlap, etc ???

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Mon May 15, 2017 9:45 pm

A little bit of slop in the logo test is expected, because you likely didn't do a perfectly rigid job of mounting the pen, and the pen itself is flexible. This can cause strokes in one direction to deflect the pen one way, and strokes in the other direction to do the reverse.

As far as the wood test, I agree that it looks like a loose pulley. Check all the pulley setscrews, and consider filing a flat side into the motor shaft if it still slips.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.