Shapeoko Upgrade kit sizes

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
infinity06

Shapeoko Upgrade kit sizes

Post by infinity06 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:56 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know what size the extrusions are for the Shapeoko 3 upgrade kits ?

There are three options to buy

XL Upgrade pack
XXL Upgrade Pack
Upgrade from XL to XXL upgrade pack

My other question is if you are limited on size on the carbide create software?

My plan is to use an extrusion upgrade kit to make my machine bigger and i want to make sure i know all of the limitations.

Thanks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko Upgrade kit sizes

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 pm

There are only two extrusion lengths as documented on the B.O.M. page: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/B.O.M.

- 600mm --- SO3 and XL Y-axis rails
- 40″ --- XXL and XL X-axis rail

Carbide Create has a limit on the stock size which you can declare, the intent there being to ensure safe margins and room for clamping, but one may create much larger size geometry than anyone is likely to cut or use w/ a Shapeoko.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Dan_the_Chemist

Post by Dan_the_Chemist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:33 pm

infinity06 wrote: My other question is if you are limited on size on the carbide create software?
SO is a pretty open system. You can use other CAD/CAM programs to create your G-code, and use other senders.

Joking comment - not really serious --> You can also make everything REALLY big by designing it in millimeters and having the G-code sender pretend it's imperial. Automatic 25.4 x multiplier. :) I did that by accident once.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:41 pm

That is funny (and a bit scary in terms of its implications for arcs and so forth).

Anyway, I just made an 8' x 8' rectangle in Carbide Create, assigned a toolpath, and other than only being able to preview the portion which fell w/in the declared stock area, it worked fine.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets