Need M5x40mm button-head cap screw

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
weheh

Need M5x40mm button-head cap screw

Post by weheh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:52 am

I managed to strip out the head of a M5x40mm button-head cap screw. Does anyone know where I can buy spares?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Need M5x40mm button-head cap screw

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Any hardware store should have them --- the kits use stainless, but that's not necessary.

Please contact support@carbide3d.com and we'll gladly send you a replacement.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

weheh

Post by weheh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:24 am

Thanks, I'll do that. The hardware stores sell Imperial sizes, not metric. Not a biggie, but I would prefer to keep the hardware all the same units.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:03 pm

You need to find a store which sells the right bolt of the right diameter, w/ the right thread --- take the damaged one in and get an equivalent.

You can get different material / finish (the original kits used black oxide) and you could get a button head cap screw instead --- if you can get a wrench on it, a hex head will work as well.

If you can't source this locally, send an e-mail to support@carbide3d.com w/ your serial/order number and we'll work out getting you a replacement.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

weheh

Post by weheh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Thank you WillAdams. I will send email to carbide3d support. While we're on the thread, no pun intended, I'm wondering about the proper use of Locktite with the nuts and bolts assembly. Should I have used Locktite with every nut and bolt on the Shapeoko3, or only on select hardware?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 pm

The official position is threadlocker should be used on anything which will not need adjustment (so not on the eccentric V-wheels or the belt anchors).

I mislike the stuff, and avoid using it.

A reasonable compromise is to use it on any non-adjustable bolt which vibrates loose and is found via the http://docs.carbide3d.com/general-faq/m ... checklist/

JohnManly

Post by JohnManly » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:41 pm

For future reference, I like McMaster Carr for hardware, provided you can use their quantities:

Here's a box of 25 for under $10: https://www.mcmaster.com/#button-head-c ... s/=18w8h3w

The best thing about them is that they nearly always ship that day for next day delivery. Hard to beat that.

Beware of using thread locking compound on any hardware that goes through a plastic part. Delrin wheels might be okay. But polycarbonate, polystyrene and other plastics (cable chain, 3D printed limit switch mounts, etc.) become extremely brittle from the outgassing of thread locking compound. I once repaired and recalibrated by torque wrench, and used Loctite on the handle retaining nut. The next time I went to use it, the handle had fractured into dozens of pieces just sitting in the toolbox drawer. Where I work, we strictly forbid locking compound on our plastic guarding doors for the same reason.