Motors hot at idle

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
weheh

Motors hot at idle

Post by weheh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:23 am

On my new Shapeoko3, the X and Z axis motors are getting really hot at idle (too hot to touch and I can stand touching really hot things). At idle means all motors stopped, no G-code running. The motors emit a high-pitch "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound constantly. When I input movement codes, the motors all move as expected. Any ideas if the heat and sound are normal?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Motors hot at idle

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Stepper motors work their hardest when holding position -- that said, they shouldn't be that noisy (mine just kind of hum) and they shouldn't get that hot (they're bolted to metal plates which function as heat sinks).

Could you note the specifics here?

- Carbide 3D Shapeoko 3 or Sparkfun Stepoko?
- current setting for the power supply?
- local voltage?
- local ambient temperature?
- timeframe to get from room temperature to "too hot to touch"?
- actual temperature definition of "too hot to touch"?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

weheh

Post by weheh » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Answers are inlined below:

Stepper motors work their hardest when holding position -- that said, they shouldn't be that noisy (mine just kind of hum) and they shouldn't get that hot (they're bolted to metal plates which function as heat sinks).
>> I would call it a kind of metallic-sounding hum. Not too loud, but high-pitched.

Could you note the specifics here?

- Carbide 3D Shapeoko 3 or Sparkfun Stepoko?
>> Sparkfun Shapeoko 3 Deluxe kit, including Sparkfun Stepoko
- current setting for the power supply?
>> I cranked it up to 2 amps. I've turned it down to 1 amp and it still runs fine with less buzz and heat
- local voltage?
>> I'm using the power supply that came with the kit
- local ambient temperature?
>> ~30C
- timeframe to get from room temperature to "too hot to touch"?
>> TBD - will have to measure
- actual temperature definition of "too hot to touch"?
>> Sorry, I don't have a thermometer to measure, but I would say around 40C or a little more. Not hot enough to melt lead. Maybe you could cook an egg after awhile. ;)

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Okay, we have a bit on adjusting the current on the wiki --- hopefully that will help: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... or_Current

I think adjusting that to a reasonable value will get you into the normal range for this.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets