Router Bits

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
Jeff

Router Bits

Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:45 pm

Will any plunge router bit be ok to use in a cnc machine.
Also would there be a cutting size dia that would be to big for a xxl running a dewalt router to handle
Also has anybody figured out how to save and print paper copies of the tutorials that from Carbide 3d, without the cnc email ad.
I only have one computer so having paper copies would be great to use while while designing and setting up toolpaths.
Jeff

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Router Bits

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:41 pm

router bits which don't have bearings and can plunge should work --- so long as feeds and speeds are suitable for the materials being cut.

To get printouts of the tutorials, I'd suggest copy-pasting into Microsoft Word and editing there as need be.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks,
Will when you sent me the email about the anchors I found that when I clicked on one anchor's in the design to select it and it turned red I could move it and delete it and select it again and move it and delete it.
So there we a lot of layers there.
I also did not understand the drawing about the v bit, being .50 wide, my cutter is .25 in dia so was that .50 width 2 passes or a cutter that was .50 wide to begin with.
Jeff

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 pm

A V-bit is rated at the maximum width which it will cut, and ideally the CAM program will take that into account.

We have a bit about entering them on the wiki: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... l_creation but that needs to be revisited based on Carbide Create's nifty new capabilities.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

hatallica

Post by hatallica » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:37 am

Jeff wrote:Also would there be a cutting size dia that would be to big for a xxl running a dewalt router to handle
From the Dewalt DWP611 manual:
NOTICE: Do not use router bits with a diameter in excess of 1-3/8" (34.9 mm) in this tool.
Shapeoko3 #1153