Assembly Questions

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
Undecaffeinated

Assembly Questions

Post by Undecaffeinated » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:48 am

So far so good, have it all mostly assembled. but I ran into a few issues:

1) The instructions are missing the Tidy Up and Squaring sections, are these TBD?
2) Attach the x and y axis belt instructions could be clearer, had to infer how to do it.
3) There is never any instruction given on the attaching the other end of the drag chains (I assume that is what the VHB tape is for?).
4) The x-axis limit switch appears to interfere with the drag chain, is this supposed to happen or have I assembled something incorrectly?
5) One of the wasteboard screws refuses to go through.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Assembly Questions

Post by WillAdams » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm

1 - Hopefully the instructions will get updated soon. Until then, please check the wiki: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Assembly or check in at support@carbide3d.com and we'll do our best to help you.
3 - correct. Use the VHB tape for that
4 - the drag chain should be pushed out so that it overhangs the rear a bit --- I wasn't satisfied w/ the clearance and added some washers to push it out further --- see https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... uild_Notes
5 - Presumably it won't reach far enough down to engage the PEM nut? You can either use a tool to increase the depth of the countersink or you can use a longer bolt --- feel free to ask support@carbide3d.com and we'll get some out to you.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Undecaffeinated

Post by Undecaffeinated » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks for the info.

On 5) these are the M5x25 screws that bolt the wasteboard to the frame. I think the hole wasn't tapped properly and I managed to strip the hex head trying to just force it through which was dumb. I have some replacements and but I'll have to drill it out.

One other quick question, the soft limits for XL work area are supposedly 850x430 but if I try to move to X-850 Y-430 after homing it crashes into the frame at around -830. Is this due to a belt calibration issue or is this not how those limits work?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:20 pm

The soft limits won't work until its calibrated I had to set my extents to 840 or so (and I think I then fiddled w/ them to get things centered)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Undecaffeinated

Post by Undecaffeinated » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Ok, good to know.

Another quick question, is there a way to offset the machine coordinates so the the homed position is at +850,+430,+80 rather than the current 0,0,0. Forgetting to set the work origin and starting the hello world job instantly sent it crashing into the right hand rail (didn't realize hard limits need to be enabled). I'm sure it's not good for the steppers/belts to keep hitting the rails while I get this all sorted.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:30 am

Setting the zero using Carbide Motion should set offsets in the G54 coordinate system which will be persistent --- just takes a bit of practice to get used to it all.