Threaded Table creation

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
jlangemak

Threaded Table creation

Post by jlangemak » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 am

Hi! After much back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger and my Shapeoko XL shows up tomorrow! I've spent the last couple days getting up to speed on the software and Im not looking at the best way to create a threaded table out of the MDF wasteboard. Most of the build I see seem to show using threaded inserts into the top of the table. This seems wrong to me and with any amount of pressure something that will pop right out. It seems to me the best way to do this with a tapered insert would be to do so from the back so that when you're tightening the clamp you're pull against the board, not just against the inserts threads. The Shapeoko build seems to indicate an install like this...

http://docs.carbide3d.com/tutorials/pro ... s-required

But I cant say for sure since the pictures dont show it fully and the wording isnt as clear as I'd like. Winston Moy's build (and many others) show them going into the top...

http://community.carbide3d.com/t/xl-and ... ps/4014/30

Im trying to sort out which inserts have the internal threads going in which direction since if I came in from the back I'd probably want the threads to be inverse.

Am I missing something big here? Thanks!

Rubes

Re: Threaded Table creation

Post by Rubes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 am

jlangemak wrote:... if I came in from the back I'd probably want the threads to be inverse.
Am I missing something big here? Thanks!
Your over thinking!!
Threads are the same if the insert goes in front or back. Do you have to put a nut on a bolt in a specific direction??? ;)

jlangemak

Post by jlangemak » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 am

ha. Yeah. I was over thinking that piece. Got to wound up in thinking about it I guess.

So what about the side you put screw them in from. Am I overthinking that too? It just seems like having them going in on the top would make it less secure.

Rubes

Post by Rubes » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:08 am

I would agree that T-nuts from the back side make more sense.
I'm going aluminum table on mine...but I guess on an XL that might be quite a $$$$$ chunk of aluminum. :shock: