Shapeoko XL homing

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
jlangemak

Shapeoko XL homing

Post by jlangemak » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 pm

I stayed up way longer than I should have last night and finished building my XL that showed up yesterday. I managed to get to a point where I drew the hello world project of the shapeoko logo and it came out great! One thing I noticed is that when Im jogging and do the quick move to either side of the table that when the x axis head slides all the way to the left it hits the left Y axis and makes a noticeable bang noice. Now its not severe - like jogging the machine hard - but I assume thats because the limit switch is on the right side only. So does that mean that it drives as far last as programmed based on the table size? Any ideas how to fix it?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Shapeoko XL homing

Post by WillAdams » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 pm

If you're using CM3 and Grbl 0.9 you can adjust the numbers in the table size per: http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/ ... le-homing/

Shouldn't happen in CM4 --- if it does, check your belt stretch calibration: http://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/ ... t-stretch/
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

jlangemak

Post by jlangemak » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Im using carbide motion 3 because Im totally new to all of this and from my reading it sounded like I shouldnt use 4 unless I wanted to upgrade my firmware. Is that right?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:56 pm

Correct. CM4 is only recommended for folks who:

- need to use the new Probe
- want access to Grbl 1.1 specific features such as feed rate override
- want to help with testing

Hopefully there will be an update before the next batch of Probes.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets