Carbide Motion 4

Assembly questions and answers for the Shapeoko 3 CNC Mill
fshrmn1

Carbide Motion 4

Post by fshrmn1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:26 pm

After download and installing ran home and my Z axis went straight down and belt hopped till I shut it Down

Any Ideas why would be appreciated

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Carbide Motion 4

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:13 am

Did you send the configuration for your machine per http://docs.carbide3d.com/support/carbideupdater/ ?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:38 am

fshrmn1 wrote:After download and installing ran home and my Z axis went straight down and belt hopped till I shut it Down

Any Ideas why would be appreciated
It probably just means you mounted the Z-axis plate upside down, so the up/down direction for homing needs reversing.

It's pretty simple to do in Carbide Motion. Go to the "MDI" tab and send this command manually:

Code: Select all

/$3=2
That should reverse the travel direction used for the Z-axis.

Saying the above as I did the exact same thing, mounting my Z-axis plate upside down (I did it on purpose though), so also had to make this change. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:45 pm

A more persistent way to make this change is to power down and rewire the stepper motors.

@AnonymousPerson --- may one ask why you did this?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 pm

WillAdams wrote:@AnonymousPerson --- may one ask why you did this?
The first time I assembled it, I did it correctly. However the Z-axis springs in my S3 (a reasonably early
model) are so long that they over-compress in the Z-axis homing cycle, thus wouldn't always get to the
top of the axis. eg homing sometimes just failed

When trying to figure out how to fix that problem, I noticed the holes in the Z-axis upgrade plate aren't
centred on the plate. Mounting with the the Z-axis plate upside down gave a bit more clearance, and
the springs don't over compress when the Z-axis moves to the top. Problem solved. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm

WillAdams wrote:A more persistent way to make this change is to power down and rewire the stepper motors.
Well, the changed setting gets saved to the board after it's run so doesn't need to get done again unless the settings are reset to their default by something.
Shapeoko 3 #516