Workshop computer for $15

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
RoguePirin

Re: Workshop computer for $15

Post by RoguePirin » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:16 pm

And.... success! It turns out that the CDC-ACM module source code is included in the source code tree for the Pine64 Ubuntu kernel; the community member distributing images just didn't have it configured in the build. I downloaded the source code he posted, configured the CDC-ACM module to be compiled as an external kernel module, and rebuilt the kernel and modules. Once that was done, I took the cdc-acm.ko module and installed it in the original distributed kernel. I now have CDC-ACM support on the Pine64 in Ubuntu.

I launched bCNC and it successfully found the SO3 serial port. After connecting to it, I loaded the SO3 Hello World gcode and ran it several inches above the wasteboard. It ran through the entire logo without any issues.

I still can't get the HDMI video out to work over an HDMI-DVI cable, so I will look around for a used monitor with an HDMI input. All in all, I am pleased.
Shapeoko 3 #677, Nyloc nuts, ¾" HDPE base with t-nuts, Dewalt 611 w/Super PIDv2

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:20 am

For anyone interested in this Pine64 board for a CAM computer, the standard Ubuntu image has been updated to include the CDC-ACM module by default. So, the base Ubuntu image now includes everything needed to communicate with the Shapeoko 3. I am not sure if every linux-based controller software will work on it as is, but bCNC definitely does.

ijv

Post by ijv » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:08 am

RoguePirin wrote: If you accept the fact that this is a DIY hobby/development board, and not a commercial board ready to use off the shelf, then you expect to have to get your hands dirty and deal with a steep learning curve (kind of like the SO3 :) ). I am getting to know more about Linux/Ubuntu than I ever thought I would (kernel command lines?). But it is interesting (and sometimes frustrating).

If you want to use the board as a media center PC, or run some fancy 4K movie kiosk, the board is definitely not there yet. If all you want is a simple GUI interface to bCNC to send text GCode over the USB port, this board rocks in its current state! Now, if I could just get CDC-ACM enabled in the kernel, I could actually talk to the SO3 :D.
How did you go with getting your PINE talking to your SO3? My board arrived the other day, but I haven't done anything with it yet.

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:26 pm

ijv wrote:How did you go with getting your PINE talking to your SO3? My board arrived the other day, but I haven't done anything with it yet.
Everything works great!

The only caveat that you need to be aware of is that the CarbideMotion board is a CDC device, meaning that it wants to use serial port protocols over the USB port. If you go with a Unix variant, then you need to have support for CDC in the kernel. I went with the Ubuntu build provided by user Longsleep, and he now has CDC-ACM support added as a kernel module. I installed the xubuntu-desktop and I like it. Note that I have the 2GB board; not sure which version you have and what the minimum memory should be?

Since the Pine64 only has 2 USB ports, I got a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo that uses the Unifying Receiver, which allows me to connect both the wireless mouse and wireless keyboard into one USB port. I plug the SO3 into the other USB port.

I have successfully run the Hello World gcode with a marker, and I have used this setup to drill all the holes in my waste board for my t-nuts for hold downs. I have not tried a huge project with over 100,000 lines of gcode, but I feel very confident that this little board can handle it.

Lastly, I don't have the USB disconnect issue that some have reported, even when I use a vacuum at the same time. I did ground my router before using the Pine64. Since I never really tried it with a desktop or laptop, and I grounded the router, I can't say if the Pine64 is any better for preventing a USB disconnect.

ijv

Post by ijv » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:16 am

Cool, does the Ubuntu build support the LXDE desktop?

RoguePirin

Post by RoguePirin » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:58 am

Sorry, I don't know. I stopped following the development once I got mine working.

Javery6

Post by Javery6 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I am a regular user of Kickstar. Working well so far me for long time.