Good serial port adapters?

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
monoposto

Good serial port adapters?

Post by monoposto » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:25 am

Finally opened my kit up after having it for a couple weeks. Working through the wiki, going to test the gcode sender and Realize I don't have a serial port....

So anyone have suggestions for adapters for a USB or something else?

criznach

Re: Good serial port adapters?

Post by criznach » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:21 am

monoposto wrote:Finally opened my kit up after having it for a couple weeks. Working through the wiki, going to test the gcode sender and Realize I don't have a serial port....

So anyone have suggestions for adapters for a USB or something else?
Are you using the Arduino/Grbl setup? If so, install the Arduino IDE software and that will give you drivers for a serial port through the USB connection. No adapter necessary, just a USB port.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:29 am

That's a good point.

I added a note to the software page:
(which will make it appear as a serial device although connected to your computer using a USB cable)
Does that adequately explain it?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

unicornswag

Post by unicornswag » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Umm...

USB:

Universal Serial Bus

They are one in the same.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 pm

The point of Shapeoko is to make CNC available to as many people as possible, with as few requirements as possible.

With that in mind, we don't assume much when it comes to instructions or hardware knowledge. If monoposto has this question then I'm sure they are not the first nor will they be the last. I'm glad they asked so we can put that information in.

On a related note: it's amazing how quickly we forget the questions we had when we very first start into something new. If it were possible to time travel, I wish I could go back and find out what I didn't know when I started doing CNC, because the list was long.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Dewey

Post by Dewey » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:18 pm

As a new person on this board, I whole heartedly agree with adding information like this.
Everyone has a different level of knowledge when it comes to computers and shop equipment.
I've been very appreciative how no one picks on me for asking for information that a lot of other people take for granted.
And I hope to one day pass along this information to others who are in my position now.
Keep up the good work!
Dewey
Shapeoko 2 #4382 Codename: Beaver