Mini tablet PC (Win 8.1) to use as dedicated controller

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
Brian Stone

Re: Mini tablet PC (Win 8.1) to use as dedicated controller

Post by Brian Stone » Thu May 14, 2015 6:07 pm

clockit wrote:
cvoinescu wrote:That's 99 cents plus part of whatever they wring out of you every month for the two years of your contract, right?
Nope, own my phone outright, no 2 yr contract... the promotion was "buy a phone get a tablet for 99 cents", didn't have to re-up the 2 yr contract with the plan I'm on...
They recoup those costs in various ways: referrals, gradual prices increases, upgrade fees, unlock fees, SMS fees, "cramming", etc.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

clockit

Post by clockit » Thu May 14, 2015 6:29 pm

true dat... but at least I have the option to shut it off, not that I ever would, lol... all of those taxes they stick you with... isn't it about time for another revolution? lol and my favorite charge, the smart phone charge... your plan will cost you X, but if you have a smart phone you have to pay like $25 more, however, you can no longer buy a non-smart phone... and then more taxes... ;)
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Thu May 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Can you point me to the dealer?? I want to get one of these!!

EDIT...I placed an order for a refurbished HP Stream 7 with Window 8 for $65 on Amazon. I'm very happy with that price.
halfnormal wrote:Well sometimes you just luck out. I was on Amazon and found a refurbished 8" Windows 8 tablet for $35.00. This is running full Windows 8 on a quad core Atom processor not RT on an ARM processor.

Just to see if it could be done, I installed the Arduino software, downloaded GRBL, downloaded 9G to a spare Arduino UNO, downloaded Universal gcode sender, installed the latest Java and crossed my fingers. It worked! I was able to talk to the Arduino with GRBL software.

A few caveats about this set up. Although usable, the screen is small. The tablet does have a HDMI out so that is not a real problem. The real problem is that the USB port is also the charging port. I am going to try and make a cable that will work with the USB port and the charger.

So if anyone wants to use a Windows 8 tablet to control their setup, it will work.
No longer have a Shapeoko, but use a machine of my own design...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFY4gC9TqD0
http://deltaguitarworks.tumblr.com

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Sun May 17, 2015 2:05 am

bharbour wrote:Can you point me to the dealer?? I want to get one of these!!

EDIT...I placed an order for a refurbished HP Stream 7 with Window 8 for $65 on Amazon. I'm very happy with that price
I am glad you were able to find one. The HP has received great reviews. I am actually writing this on the tablet with a bluetooth keyboard.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun May 17, 2015 2:32 am

halfnormal wrote:
Dave wrote:$35! :shock: What model was it? Happen to have a link? :D
The brand is Hipstreet model W8 Pro. Sorry they sold out quick! I was just lucky when I came across it.
No problem. Even if I can't find that exact model at the price, that's enough to find the full specifications. And having that information makes the "confirmed working" reports useful for all kinds of other budget tablets. ;)

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Tue May 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Got my refurbished HP Stream 7, very fast shipping, and I must say that I'm very impressed. Although I'm a heavy windows user at work, up till now I've only owned Android tablets. I've gotten aggravated with some of the limits of Android like no Flash, etc. It's nice to have the same basic experience on the tablet as on my laptop and tower PC's. It'll connect to a larger 1080p monitor/TV with the proper cable. I'm going to put UGS on it and give it a whirl on the SO2.

bharbour

Post by bharbour » Tue May 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Brian Stone

Post by Brian Stone » Tue May 19, 2015 6:15 pm

For 45 bucks, I'll bite. I currently have a wireless keyboard and third monitor that I've been using to operate USG. If I can free up that monitor, all the better.
Shapeoko 2 #7353
1500x1000mm Shapeoko/X-Carve Hybrid, Nema-23's, Belt-Driven Z-Axis /w ACME Screw, Dewalt 611, Soundproof Enclosure
[Fusion 360 | Illustrator] -> Universal G-Code Sender

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Thu May 21, 2015 4:31 pm

I am still in love with my $35 Hipstreet Tablet. I purchased an OTG cable with power BUT found out the power was for the accessories and not the Tablet. I am still researching to see if there is an available option or find out why there is not an option to charge the Tablet too. I am concerned that I might damage the Tablet if I make one on my own. Will update when I know more.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu May 21, 2015 4:56 pm

Yeah, this intentionally crippled Intel reference design w/ only a single Micro USB for charging and devices is a pain.

Toshiba at least makes an OTG charge and device adapter, which I was glad to be able to get w/ my Encore 2 Write 10.

This hub works for certain tablets though:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universa ... 09573.html
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets