Via Epia M 600MHz with Linux suitable?

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
michaelrommel

Via Epia M 600MHz with Linux suitable?

Post by michaelrommel » Tue May 12, 2015 6:25 am

Hello,

I am completely new to CNC milling and waiting for the delivery of my Shapeoko 3. In the meantime I try to read through the breadth of all the material available and I must admit that I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed.
For a start I wanted to understand the Wiki-Workflow and Wiki-Software pages and to figure out, what I need from a computer perspective to operate the machine.

From my limited understanding the best "breaking" point between design and shop operations would be after the CAM part. I could use my normal Mac Pro to design the parts and generate the G-code and put the resulting file on some network drive.

My question now is, whether an older 600MHz Via Epia board running Linux (probably Ubuntu) would be sufficient to communicate with the Shapeoko 3 or if it would be too slow. The requirement for Java for the Universal G-code sender startled me. The default carbide3d software is not available on Linux and I doubt that this old machine can run Windows 8.x at all. GrblController seems to be stuck at 3.0 and the 3.1 version with support for reported coordinates seems not to be available and I have not found a Linux version. LinuxCNC seems not to work with USB based devices. And ChiliPeppr seems to work with TinyG, which is not the controller of the Shapeoko 3. That is what I read from the help pages - please correct me, if I got it wrong.

Is anybody operating a Shapeoko 3 from an older Linux box and if so, could you help me in trying to figure out which software to use?

Thank you all very much in advance,

Michael.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Via Epia M 600MHz with Linux suitable?

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 12, 2015 10:42 am

The most promising thing seems to be bCNC.

https://github.com/vlachoudis/bCNC

I started a page on the wiki, but there’s not much there yet.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/BCNC
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

vasilis

Post by vasilis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Dear Will,

thank you for the wikipage on bCNC. Just one correction, could you remove the "rexx" from the requirements
since it is included in the lib.

Vasilis

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:00 pm

Done. Thanks again for the program.

Still trying to find time to read through the code and work up some new graphics.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)