Raspberry Pi to run the Shapeoko?

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
BellyUpFish

Raspberry Pi to run the Shapeoko?

Post by BellyUpFish » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Ok, so I'm just starting the research and thought I'd throw this up there, since I'm sure someone has been there done that.. Should probably hit up Google first, but I'm already here.

I'm thinking about running the SO3 off an RPi, just to keep my laptop from getting all the shop nasty that seems to be out there. That said, I've never dealt with an RPi.

What I'd like to do is be able to put my gcode onto a USB stick and walk it to the garage and hit vrooom..

Is there a wiki on it?

Anyone have any tips?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Raspberry Pi to run the Shapeoko?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:07 pm

Wiki?

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php? ... ext=Search

(please discount my user page, still researching this)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Please keep researching the Raspberry Pi and updating us and the wiki on what you find, as it sounds like a good low-cost low-power long-term option. 8-)

...but that being said, have you looked into the current crop of Windows 8 tablets? :?:

Check out this thread:
"Mini tablet PC (Win 8.1) to use as dedicated controller"
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4296

At $45 shipped, or even $35 in one case, you're looking at a full x86 computer, ready to run, for an incredibly low price. When you factor in that you don't have to purchase a display/keyboard/mouse or power adapter, it's likely going to be cheaper than a Raspberry Pi and more capable as well. 8-)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:56 pm

I’m still setting up a Toshiba Encore 2 Write 10 ( my first really new machine since college). I’ve been debating using a spare Asus Vivotab Note 8.

The raspberry Pi makes sense since it allows true headless operation. Will probably experiment w/ it over the weekend.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:42 pm

I've been testing Raspberry Pi Grbl GUIs for the last month. There is a long post in the Grbl forum. In summary:

- Raspberry Pi 1: Only bCNC runs acceptably well on this. Everything else runs a bit slow or has some performance issue. For the most part, UGS can work, but it's almost agonizingly slow.

- Raspberry Pi 2: bCNC runs nearly perfectly on the RPi 2. It also has a virtual pendant and they are working on user-programmable macros. I would highly recommend using this. You just have to download the ZIP file from the repo and run it. All of the supporting libraries it uses to run are standard on the RPi 2 image. UGS runs great as well, but can slow down with tool paths that are streaming very quickly. You'll need to install Java for it to run. The new GrblWeb build has webcam streaming for the RPi2, but can only do remote(local network) machine control through a browser. Download and flash the GrblWeb image to an SD card and you're pretty much good to go.

Chilipeppr has performance issues with tool paths that stream very quickly. It has audible hiccups during a job like this and there is a refresh problem on the browser side. It'll crash the browser or become so backlogged with drawing window updates that it'll become non-responsive throughout the job. So, it doesn't matter if you have an RPi1 or RPi 2.

BellyUpFish

Post by BellyUpFish » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 am

Sounds like one of the cheap tablets might be ideal overs Pi.

chamnit

Post by chamnit » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:28 pm

@BellyUpFish : I didn't mean you can't use a RPi. It's the way I control all of my machines. bCNC runs fantastically on it and is quickly becoming my GUI of choice, because it's getting very powerful. UGS will work on the RPi 2 just fine for most people. I'm just suggesting that you get an RPi 2, if you can.

The problem with Chilipeppr has nothing to do with the RPi. The serial JSON server works great on it. The issue is Chilipeppr's browser-based GUI. Even on a Macbook Pro, aggressive jobs that stream quickly kills the browser on my laptop or bogs it down so much it becomes unresponsive for minutes. Chilipeppr should run acceptably if your client computer (running the browser GUI) is fast enough and your jobs are pretty slow and simple.

If you already have a Pi handy, it's worth trying any one of these GUIs, but of course, I recommend bCNC over everything. :)

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Interestingly, I found this:

http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... nc-machine

Let's turn this around --- what would be the optimal software stack for running a Shapeoko using a Raspberry Pi? What additional hardware tweaks are necessary to make this work? What additional niceties can this be easily set up to allow? Things which I envision:

- stripped down OS which only runs bCNC --- is there an option for Linux which will parse an app and determine what files are actually needed to support it and create a custom image w/ only those files? --- it would auto-load bCNC --- what level of interaction is needed / possible? Could one load files using the HTML pendant functionality?
- some small circuit board which somehow affords power to the raspberry Pi directly
- a small hardware interface which allows one to have the buttons / keys and circuits / inputs hard wired which Grbl can make use of (could these last two be combined neatly into an enclosure w/ a wired pendant? Would it make sense to also have an LCD w/ machine coordinates? Or just use the HTML pendant for that?)

Basically, what I'd like to do would be to:

- pop a MicroSD out of the Raspberry Pi, load it into a Windows tablet, copy over a file for milling, return MicroSD to rPi and boot it up
- control the Raspberry Pi using the Windows tablet to select the file for milling, home / jog the machine, select a work coordinate system if need be, touch off and begin cutting
- use the Windows tablet to monitor the cutting progress, and keep myself occupied while watching the machine --- no need to worry about locking up the machine or rebooting or it going to sleep or having to fiddle w/ power settings or load some utility program to keep it awake.

There's also this on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Headless

I guess the question is, how does the rPi being available change the calculus and capabilities of setting up a machine to run headless?

William

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:42 pm

WillAdams wrote:Basically, what I'd like to do would be to:
- pop a MicroSD out of the Raspberry Pi, load it into a Windows tablet, copy over a file for milling, return MicroSD to rPi and boot it up
- control the Raspberry Pi using the Windows tablet to select the file for milling, home / jog the machine, select a work coordinate system if need be, touch off and begin cutting
- use the Windows tablet to monitor the cutting progress, and keep myself occupied while watching the machine --- no need to worry about locking up the machine or rebooting or it going to sleep or having to fiddle w/ power settings or load some utility program to keep it awake.
WillAdams wrote:I guess the question is, how does the rPi being available change the calculus and capabilities of setting up a machine to run headless?
What are you hoping to accomplish with this setup?
(Please don't think I'm being critical, I'm just trying to figure out where you're going. ;) )

If you have a connection (WiFi?) for the Windows 8 tablet to start and control the milling job on the rPi, you might as well use that same connection to transfer the files over (instead of swapping MicroSD cards in and out). And if you set up the Raspberry Pi to be completely headless, remember that you then *need* that secondary computer to do *anything* with the rPi. It doesn't simplify your setup, it actually complicates it and adds dependencies.

Using a touchscreen tablet as the control computer would give you a bunch of additional benefits (local job control, local monitoring of progress, standalone operation) while preserving most of the value the headless rPi would have added (small size, low power, no keyboard/mouse required, inexpensive, etc). And you could still remotely control it if you wanted (for example, a setup with TWO Win8 tablets.)

You could add a touchscreen to the rPi to bring back some of those benefits, but by then you've easily doubled the cost relative to a Win8 tablet...

Again, not trying to be critical... if I'm missing something, please help me understand the benefit? :oops:

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:48 pm

I've got the rPi to spare (my son isn't doing anything w/ his), and the only tablet I have to spare has a shorted out digitizer and touch screen.

I guess I could use VNC to directly upload the file when controlling it from the tablet, so no need to swap around cards.

My big reasons not to use Windows were as noted:
no need to worry about locking up the machine or rebooting or it going to sleep or having to fiddle w/ power settings or load some utility program to keep it awake.