Dust control for laptop

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
TomO

Dust control for laptop

Post by TomO » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:05 am

I am using a laptop to control my SO3 - not my first choice but it's what I have available currently. Do you fellow laptop users have any suggestions on how to keep a laptop free of saw dust? I have a couple ideas in mind but if there is a proven method I would prefer to go that route rather than experimenting...

My SO3 is in my pole barn but the laptop will only be out there while I am using the cnc.

I appreciate any advice you care to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomO

Re: Dust control for laptop

Post by TomO » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:15 am

Also if you don't believe dust control is necessary - I'd like to hear your opinion.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:35 am

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

TomO

Post by TomO » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:27 am

Probably should of included this in my original post - I plan on using a dust shoe. My question is does anyone do anything beyond that to keep a laptop clean?

Thanks

Woodworker

Post by Woodworker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:50 am

I have an SO2 and have a laptop dedicated to it. It sits next to the machine and I put an acrylic "fence" between them. I keep the laptop closed when I'm not using it and use compressed air to blow out the keyboard before I close it. I'll try and get a picture today.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:19 pm

I built a dedicated desk for the Shapeoko. It will eventually be fully enclosed (More for noise, not dust). My laptop sits on top of the desk (check out my build log for pictures). Keeping it away from the work area has kept it far cleaner than when I used to place it next to the machine. That said... I second the dust shoe opinion. There is a night and day difference in life with and without a dust shoe. While it might not get all the chips, it gets 99% of the dust. Being that this is inside my house I knew my wife would kill me if I provided a constant supply of extra dust. I was quite surprised to see how little dust there was in the machine area. Another thing though... I take the time to clean as much of the extra chip spray after every use. I could see very quickly how that stuff could build up, and it is like sand... it ends up in the oddest of places. So, taking the time to get as much as possible before I turn off the vacuum, even before I unbolt said object from the mill.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

Hans

Post by Hans » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:30 pm

All of the laptops I've seen draw air slowly in through holes all over the bottom. I don't bother doing anything to keep the laptop from slowly filling up with sawdust, but you could raise it up and strap some computer fan filter material to the bottom to create a cleanable filter. If you restrict the airflow by a lot though, you could wind up doing more harm than good. Not sure of the best way to keep dust from covering the keyboard, I just brush or blow it off when it gets dirty.
Shapeoko #1,123

clockit

Post by clockit » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:58 am

with my static dust shoe it isn't an issue... at all...
Shapeoko 2, Full Kit #7071, Makita RT0701C Router, 1000 x 1000 upgrade, Acme Z Axis w/Nema 17 Belt Drive

kurt

Post by kurt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:44 am

2 test runs of my so3 and my laptop track pad was grinding and messed up, not good. The dust is very fine and gets everywhere. I rubber band a old shop vac hose right next to the router and brought the dust down 90 % without a complicated shoe. Noisy as hell but better than ruining my laptop. I'm Thinking of some sort of plexiglas dust cover, like turntables used to have (dating myself ?) over either the laptop or the whole so3 ? I fabricated a plexiglas cover years ago and it was fairly simply with acrylic glue and or heat gun to heat up along a bend line to "fold " the sides, then glued the seams. Kinda like a pie cover ? or a cardboard box as temp solution. cheaper than a new laptop.

Shook

Post by Shook » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:55 pm

You could probably go with something similar to this if you want something fast/cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Silicon ... B0030UF24G

Right now, I'm using a Raspberry Pi and one of these for a keyboard / mouse (http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyb ... s+keyboard). It's great because it's wireless and handheld. I use it to jog the machine and control UGS and then I toss it in my shirt pocket to keep the dust off of it.
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)