Do background tasks glitch toolpaths?

Discussions on various computer platforms and operating systems used to run Shapeoko mills.
John_TX

Do background tasks glitch toolpaths?

Post by John_TX » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm pre-prepping (?) for my SO3. Found a decent desktop PC running Windows 7, 2GB ram, and hope to make it a dedicated garage computer to run SO3. (Design work to be done elsewhere).
My question is, should I gut the software - disable system updates, background virus scanning, nix all the startup programs - so that the PC never gets "distracted", or is that not an issue?
My concern is stalling, even for a moment, mid-pass and introducing flaws in the workpiece.
what has worked for you guys?

(Also, anyone tried Windows 10 and recommend upgrading or should I stick with 7 for controlling SO3?)

HPGreyling

Re: Do background tasks glitch toolpaths?

Post by HPGreyling » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I am using Windows 10 and ugs without any hiccups. I have not disabled any software as I use the software on my day to day notebook

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:50 pm

You want to control when the system reboots for updates --- normal background tasks on today's modern equipment seem to be fine, and I've even done some web browsing while milling (left the tablet in another room and didn’t want to leave the machine to get it).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

McOtis

Post by McOtis » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:14 pm

John_TX wrote:My concern is stalling, even for a moment, mid-pass and introducing flaws in the workpiece.
It would take a serious amount of time (minutes) to cause a problem.
Your computer doesn't actually tell the steppers what to do (this is GRBL's job).
Your computer only sends the GCode program to GRBL, which does all the work.
GRBL has a buffer and handles all the real-time handling of the stepper motors.

Even if your computer did stall, GRBL would probably just wait for more GCode, and not move the machine anywhere (in theory? Never had it happen!)
FYI GRBL is running on the Carbide Motion board.

B NEGATIVE

Post by B NEGATIVE » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:33 pm

I would stick to 7 until the Threshold updates are done for 10,7 is much more stable right now.
Also,be wary of Intels USB3 root hub controller,its not stable,better to uninstall and run at USB2.

Don't run an AV either and setup your machine with the high performance power plan in device manager, edit the settings to never turn off display or sleep. You can also do this in bios by disabling S states.

If you have issues outside of this use that give you cause for concern then consider runs of memtest86 and OCCT to eliminate CPU or RAM errors.

oskanaan

Post by oskanaan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:30 am

I am using a raspberry pi with UCS, when I am running a large gcode file it tends to hang every now and then even if I am not doing any activity, but never had an issue with the workpiece being ruined, it just stops working until the PI can push more gcode. It also happens sometimes when I am browsing the net while running a job.

ijv

Post by ijv » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:15 am

I'm using a positively ancient laptop (10 years old 1 CPU core), running Lubuntu LTS 14.04. It runs UGCS just fine.

FargoPhil

Post by FargoPhil » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:35 pm

One caveat I'd add is that if you are doing laser work, any pauses will likely result in burns.

xfredericox

Post by xfredericox » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:43 pm

never had issues with Win10
Never had unwanted pauses

I keep my cnc-pc clean though but I think you will need to abuse it badly in order to glitch toolpaths

I wouldn't worry about that until it is an actual issue, which it won't be.
There's lots of other things that will need your attention, believe me :-)
Visit my blog for updates on my current SO2/lasercutting/... projects.
http://www.manmademayhem.com