Thermal “goo” suggestions for replacement CM board on SO3

ShrikantPillay

Thermal “goo” suggestions for replacement CM board on SO3

Post by ShrikantPillay » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:08 am

Carbide3D sent me a new CM controller board (v2.3) to replace my v2.1 board that they suspect is causing the infamous disconnect issues. The interesting bit is that it came with a giant capacitor pre-installed on the board - as has been discussed as a DIY fix elsewhere on the support forums. It LOOKS odd given that everything else is a surface mount component…

Anyhow, when I removed the v2.1 board most of the white thermally conductive grease (?) remained on the PCB with a small amount left on the aluminum heatsink the board attaches to. My question is two-fold: is the residual goo/paste/grease on the heatsink sufficient to provide the thermal bond required for the new board or do I need to add more? If the latter, can folks suggest products that I can easily purchase locally for this specific purpose?

Part numbers, links, etc appreciated. I want to make sure I get the right stuff and not just “guess” and end up with something corrosive that eats my PCB or is incompatible with aluminum or is ELECTRICALLY conductive and shorts out everything…my paranoia regarding potential catastrophic scenarios is probably excessive…I know. I’m sure someone here or at Carbide support can quickly point me in the right direction. I’ll email Carbide if I must, but I seem to get a turnaround ranging from a day or two to sometimes over a week…

Thanks in advance.

CrazyBillybob

Re: Thermal “goo” suggestions for replacement CM board on SO3

Post by CrazyBillybob » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:19 pm

Do search for heat sink grease. Also any thermal paste used for Computer CPU's will work. Most heatsinks are aluminum so you will not have to worry about the pastes eroding it away. Some of the pastes are conductive so be careful not to get it on the electrodes or the board. A little bit of this goes a long way a semi-transparent film is plenty thick.

Examples
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermal+past ... b_ss_i_1_7
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=heatsink+gre ... _sb_noss_1