How about ITAR resources? Is a bare PCB ITAR restricted?

KrisDong

How about ITAR resources? Is a bare PCB ITAR restricted?

Post by KrisDong » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:11 am

I am confused about how ITAR works.  Wondering if anybody has ITAR links or resources that can answer any of the following questions.
A bare PCB without any components populated on it is only a collection of wires and pads.  Without the schematic and the BOM included in the data package, there is no chance any external party could deduce what the bare PCB  is used for, or otherwise utilize it for nefarious purposes -- it remains a collection of wires, devoid of any function. Therefore, how could a bare PCB ever be classified as an ITAR-regulated item? Who makes this decision? And how does one find an expert in the matter to answer the intricacies of such inquiries?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: How about ITAR resources? Is a bare PCB ITAR restricted?

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:22 am

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

For those not familiar with it, ITAR is International Traffic in Arms Regulations --- there's a Wikipedia article on it, but I doubt the Nolo Press folks have done a book on it, so the only recommendation I can offer is to consult with a local lawyer who specializes in export law as regards to items which are or are not affected by it.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)