is my carbide3d board is fried

hemare

is my carbide3d board is fried

Post by hemare » Tue May 25, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi I do wonder if my carbide3d board is fried or something can be done?
Yesterday I started a small engraving project when suddenly the engraving stopped for a second or 2 and then continued for about 30 seconds and then stopped. I had this problems before and I thought it was a USB connection issue. So I checked the USB wire and tried reconnecting without luck. I did try other software and they give the massage that it could not connect to the board. I removed the PCB and cleaned( removed all the dust) and tried to connect the board to a different PC without any luck. I also tried a different usb cable no luck either. I also did the reset button same issue.
When I try to connect it starts with being busy and then the massage ”cutter did not respond”
I did remove the some of the other wires and only left the stepper motor wires connected.
Is there another solution beside buying a new board?

regards,
henri

3.jpg
3.jpg (105.19 KiB) Viewed 932 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 932 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (220.99 KiB) Viewed 932 times

alexig

Re: is my carbide3d board is fried

Post by alexig » Thu May 27, 2021 2:40 pm

I don't have one myself but some things to check:

Does the device show up on your operating system (e.g in device manager for Windows)?
Can you check the 5V voltage rail?
Are any of the chips on the board getting hot?

hemare

Post by hemare » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi Alexig and thnx for your replay.
I was gone for a few days.
when the board is pluged in it does show up in the device manager the rest i still have to check the rest.

thanks,
Henri

BriggTrim

Post by BriggTrim » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:10 am

Hi...that sounds really strange. There is a reset button on the board, near the connectors if I remember correctly. Maybe try pressing that.

Assuming you re-start the Shapeoko check all the cables - and confirm you have a power light - right side near the limit switches.

Silly one, but on the power brick there is a switch on the cable - well worth checking it.

hemare

Post by hemare » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:48 am

Thanks,
I Think the board is fried. It stoped working while working. I did the reset and tried the board on different pc. i also check all the cables but nothing.
I orderd a new board and everything is working again.

regards,
Henri

LightsUp

Post by LightsUp » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 am

BriggTrim wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:10 am
Hi...that sounds really strange. There is a reset button on the board, near the connectors if I remember correctly. Maybe try pressing that.

Assuming you re-start the Shapeoko check all the cables - and confirm you have a power light - right side near the limit switches.

Silly one, but on the power brick there is a switch on the cable - well worth checking it.
The first step I take when trying to fix a problem with any hardware is to check connections and cable integrity. This has never failed me and on several issues I have been able to troubleshoot early on.