XStepper: New complete Hardware GRBL solution.

xpix

Re: StepperX: New complete Hardware GRBL solution.

Post by xpix » Fri May 03, 2013 2:16 pm

I try to make a better design. Looks good :)
xstepper.png
XStepper
xstepper.png (42.76 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
I change only the position, a lot of fixes and some features:

* Reset pin with 10k resistor to Vcc
* ICSP had wrong pinout
* short wires to stepper screw terminal
* 4pin screw terminals
* 4 led axis
* pinhd for low signals

Metroid

Post by Metroid » Fri May 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi xpix,

Use 16 or 24 mil wire for your signals. Don't use 90 degrease turns. It's better to use 45 degrease.
Place the crystal as close as possible to the controller. Try to isolate the crystal and capacitors from the rest.
Use the AK500 for the screw connectors. Place them against each other. Make the wire connection on both top and bottom.
Isolate the stepper vmoc powersupply from the remaining board. Isolate vcc and the ground under the optocouplers.
You can use a 1x3 pinheader for the homing/limit switches. Pin 1 is signal, pin 2 is vcc, pin 3 is ground. This for use of Hall sensors or other sensors.

Use EagleUp to confirm your work. This will help to find little bugs.

Gr. Rob.
eShapeOko #92, 4x Stepper Shield, All in One GRBL
The Wings

xpix

Post by xpix » Mon May 06, 2013 7:09 am

Hey Metroid,

thank u for ur advice. Ok discuss the points:
Metroid wrote:Use 16 or 24 mil wire for your signals. Don't use 90 degrease turns. It's better to use 45 degrease.
Place the crystal as close as possible to the controller.
Why i must use 16 or 24mil wires? The ITEAD can handle the wires in 8mils. But ok, i will give a try ... u mean the crystal must be closer to the controller?
Use the AK500 for the screw connectors. Place them against each other. Make the wire connection on both top and bottom. Isolate the stepper vmoc powersupply from the remaining board. Isolate vcc and the ground under the optocouplers. You can use a 1x3 pinheader for the homing/limit switches. Pin 1 is signal, pin 2 is vcc, pin 3 is ground. This for use of Hall sensors or other sensors.
I used AK500 as Screwerminals. I used a Pinheader 2x08 for every Signal, cuz we can use a ribbon 1x16 cable with a cheap crimp to get this signals for hallsensors and so on. Also we have on this Pinheader VCC and GND.

Ok, i will make the wires thicker and care about the other tipps ... coming soon and thank u!

xpix

Post by xpix » Mon May 06, 2013 7:11 am

The first Prototype works on my Shapeoko. After some fixes, cold soldering points in microstep and Reset Problem cuz USB_GND and GND was not connected.

The run was standard Shapeoko example and a 2h job. No Problems at all.

Metroid

Post by Metroid » Mon May 06, 2013 8:26 am

Hi xpix,
Why i must use 16 or 24mil wires? The ITEAD can handle the wires in 8mils. But ok, i will give a try ... u mean the crystal must be closer to the controller?
16 to 24 mils can be run 4 times under the controller. See my design. I use only 24 mils for better continuity. You can not break the wire that fast and it's repairable. Use 8 to 16 mils for small SMD like TQFP and BGA.
Place the crystal as close to pin 9 and 10. Place the 18pF capacitor's next to the crystal.
I used AK500 as Screwerminals. I used a Pinheader 2x08 for every Signal, cuz we can use a ribbon 1x16 cable with a cheap crimp to get this signals for hallsensors and so on. Also we have on this Pinheader VCC and GND.
To use a 16p flatcable is not very smart. You must design a extra board that can handle the incoming sensors and switches. If the flatcable is inserted incorrectly than VCC = GND and visa versa. A good design has some redundancy when consumers connect peripherals to the board.
For extra redundancy you can chose to have a 5V1 zener to ground on every extending pin (not necessary).
And for noise reduction a 47nF to 100nF between limit/switch en gnd. This will give some latency (not mutch, +/- 100ns).

Gr. Rob
The Wings

xpix

Post by xpix » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Metroid wrote: To use a 16p flatcable is not very smart. You must design a extra board that can handle the incoming sensors and switches. If the flatcable is inserted incorrectly than VCC = GND and visa versa. A good design has some redundancy when consumers connect peripherals to the board.

Ok i plan 1x03 for every limit switch and also an 1x16 Pinheader, good for User to use whatever he like :)

Other Question, i try EagleUP (great!) ... but i need a lot of models for Polulu Driver and so on. Wher u get ur 3d models for Sketchup?

Metroid

Post by Metroid » Mon May 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Self made and search on the ShetchUp website, there are many parts available. I will post them here for you. It is not that difficult to make your own components.
Last edited by Metroid on Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wings

Metroid

Post by Metroid » Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 pm

Follow this link:

models.zip

Gr. Rob
The Wings

xpix

Post by xpix » Tue May 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Metroid wrote:Self made and search on the ShetchUp website, there are many parts available. I will post them here for you. It is not that difficult to make your own components.
Ok, here is my first result:
XStepper.png
Stepboard in Sketchup
XStepper.png (324.09 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Can i get the Polulu board in 3d from you? After that im closed finish :)

Metroid

Post by Metroid » Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi xpix,

Download the models.zip and ad the models in your model directory for EagleUp. The Polulu driver board is placed in directory models/connectors/misc/A493NOSKIN.skp. You can rename this to your own model name. Or you can use the RepRapjr.lbr library in eagle for the Polulu driver. Place it in lbr directory of eagle and activate it in eagle.
There are many other parts in the file that are not standard with EagleUp. You can open them separately in SketchUp to find out what it is.

Gr. Rob.
The Wings