Limit Switch Wiring?

Auarhau

Re: Limit Switch Wiring?

Post by Auarhau » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Of course I did not get any 0,1uF. Is this value critical? I've got more of the 0,047uF ceramic, or I have 1uF electrolytic and polyester/box type ones.
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Ceramic, 47 nF is fine.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:50 pm

My brain had a melt down over the schematics so I changed tactics and just copied the breadboard :mrgreen: . It seems to work with the little testing I've done. Without it I get false triggers every time I run a 2min job. With the filter in place I can run compressor, shop vac and spindle and the cnc just keeps running. Interestingly though, if I run the machine with no filter circuit but instead put a clip on ferrite bead on the leads to the limit pins I get no false triggers either! I don't trust just the ferrite bead on it's own for the long run, and since I already have everything I will continue to try and make a more permanent filter circuit board and use both the ferrite bead and the filter.
ShapeOko 2. Nema 17 74 oz·in. GAUPS shield on Arduino Uno. DRV8825 Drivers x4 . Kress 1050 FME-1. Z Acme Screw. Threaded inserts table.

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:38 am

How do I wire the probe? Should it also have all the same filter components like a switch, or just through the IC?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:12 am

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:53 pm

Wire the probe the same as a switch.

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:20 pm

Could you please take a look at my schematic Catalin? Is there something wrong or missing. Or did I misunderstand
completely? :) If everything is OK, I will try to route and mill this soon. It's been a steep learning curve with Eagle, but I think I can make a board now if only my schematic checks out. It's my first time drawing something like this, so It's not very pretty. I got the orientation of the IC components a bit wonky compared to how it looks in real life, but the pin's should match. I also did not know what components to choose to make the input/output of the board, so I chose some different pins or connectors just so that I will get a pad to solder the wires to. I don't know if this is the common way of doing it? I would use screw terminals if I had them. But soldering the wires directly to the board will have to do for now.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:42 pm

That looks perfect.

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:43 pm

Not quite perfect. The probe did not work. I think when the signal from the probe got inverted through the IC, GRBL did not understand the value it received. And I got an error when starting the probe command. Luckily I caught this error early on the breadboard. To fix it I just ran the signal through the IC again, to cancel out the inverting effect. Now everything works as expected.

Here is a picture of the board after milling, and ready for soldering (never mind that it is a mirror image of what I actually needed, my bad 8-) )
I used the circuit above on the breadboard while I was milling this PCB. I have now removed the bread board and replaced it with the pcb.

I'll report back on the performance of the circuit once I've run with it for some time.
Thanks for all the help, I really could not have done all this without it!

Auarhau

Post by Auarhau » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:33 am

Ok so I have been using this circuit for some time now and I'm almost happy with it. It did reduce my false triggers a lot. But not completely. I still get one every now and then. Last time was on a 1 hour job and it pooped out on me after 45min. What happened then was my compressor started running and I think that created noise. I have had a few other incidents that I have not been able to pinpoint why. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, and it's a vast improvement. And having the switches makes it quick to reset if it fails. It does suck when it happens in a long job though. So far I have no better way to save the job then to re home and send it from the start again. Would be nice if I could just resume a few lines before it crashed. Using bCNC only nowadays, and it seems to stop very quick, so maybe this could be possible. It sucks to see the machine air cut 45min :p