Stepper driver and Stepper shield

pourcirm

Re: Stepper driver and Stepper shield

Post by pourcirm » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Just to let anyone who is interested know I am currently designing a board that has the added 3D printing functionality. Rather than going the shield route I've integrated the Arduino/AtMega 328 chip right into the board. When completed my design will be similar in function to the stepper shield, but be a bit more robust.

Currently it features 4 drivers for CNC usage (1 X, 2 Y, 1 Z), connections for 3 limit switches, a driver for an extruder, 2 thermistor connections, and the connections needed to power a heated build platform, the hot end element, and a fan.

The board is still centered around the Pololu boards, but it should possess all the functions you need for CNC or 3D printing applications. From the research I've done my thought process is to put the ATMega IC in a socket and run grbl for the CNC functions and switch out the ATMega for one running a 3D firmware called Teacup when I want to do 3D printing.

EDIT: Sorry for the giant image. Didn't realize it would span the whole page. Added a smaller version.
Attachments
CNC_Board_resize.png
Smaller Mock-Up Image
CNC_Board_resize.png (348.19 KiB) Viewed 3303 times

AtomSoft

Post by AtomSoft » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:44 am

I will have mines for sale in about 2 weeks:

http://atomsofttech.com/mainpress/?p=2145

Blog / Store
Live to Love, Not to Hate.
You're not a failure because you don't make it, you're a success because you tried.
Do you like the help i give? Think i deserve a tip? DONATE

lrusak

Post by lrusak » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:37 pm

pourcirm wrote:Just to let anyone who is interested know I am currently designing a board that has the added 3D printing functionality. Rather than going the shield route I've integrated the Arduino/AtMega 328 chip right into the board. When completed my design will be similar in function to the stepper shield, but be a bit more robust.

Currently it features 4 drivers for CNC usage (1 X, 2 Y, 1 Z), connections for 3 limit switches, a driver for an extruder, 2 thermistor connections, and the connections needed to power a heated build platform, the hot end element, and a fan.

The board is still centered around the Pololu boards, but it should possess all the functions you need for CNC or 3D printing applications. From the research I've done my thought process is to put the ATMega IC in a socket and run grbl for the CNC functions and switch out the ATMega for one running a 3D firmware called Teacup when I want to do 3D printing.

EDIT: Sorry for the giant image. Didn't realize it would span the whole page. Added a smaller version.
I really like this idea, please keep us (me) informed about your progress. I would also like to do some 3D printing as well. Keep it up!

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Looks like the Buildlog Stepper Shield is out of stock and I can't find a place to order it from.

This may not be the best option due to the limited availability.

jahn

Post by jahn » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 pm

My stepper motors have current 2.4A( not only 1.7 as 42BYGHM809 stepper motor that was recommended by Edward).Is there any other possibility except grblshield? Pololu drivers can not be used( i think) because are not for such high current.

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:00 pm

levlandau2 wrote:Looks like the Buildlog Stepper Shield is out of stock and I can't find a place to order it from.

This may not be the best option due to the limited availability.
Yeah, I wouldn't hold out hope for the Buildlog Shield. At the moment I think Bart is putting together DIY kits when able on a first come first serve basis; I missed the last batch of 9 posted on the Buildlog forum/blog.

I think a shield is my biggest question mark with my build; leaning towards the TinyG though.

3D printing would be nice down the road, but I'm blocked by the added expense and currently untested platform; more so when I enlarge the build area. Would it "simply" be a matter of switching out the z-axis with an extruder head assembly down the road?

levlandau2

Post by levlandau2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:00 pm

So since the buildlog log driver is out of the question, I am assuming the grblshield is the most straight-forward choice.

Since it only has 3 drivers, how would one go about driving more motors (4,5..). I am would like to have the option to upgrade to more motors in the future in order to for example enable the dual drive Y axis.

Any opinions on this? Do I just buy two grblshields which would allow 6 motors to be driven??

sea2stars

Post by sea2stars » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:47 am

They offer another board, TinyG, that can control up to 4 drives; it's in a prerelease form but available.

Anomalous

Post by Anomalous » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:50 am

levlandau2 wrote:Since it only has 3 drivers, how would one go about driving more motors (4,5..). I am would like to have the option to upgrade to more motors in the future in order to for example enable the dual drive Y axis.
I read somewhere on one of the Grbl sites that the step and direction lines all have to be kept on the same port for performance reasons. If this is true, then Grbl could only drive up to 4 axes (4 direction lines and 4 step lines use up the 8 bit port.)

I expect a dual axis Y drive would share the step and direction lines between 2 stepper controllers (like the newer Buildlog stepper shield offers), so you should still be able to have a dual axis Y and a stepper based extruder (5 stepper motors but only 4 axes.)